The Sr. Silica Modifications Scientist functions as the technical leader in chemistry and chemical process to sustain for Silica based media manufacturing including silica surface modification, organic synthesis, and chemical process development and optimization. Conducts research, analysis, and experimentation to troubleshoot all chemistry related issues in silica media manufacturing, for such purposes as product and process development and application, quantitative and qualitative analysis, and improvement of analytical methodologies by performing the following duties.
Functions as the technical leader in chemistry and chemical process to sustain for Silica based media manufacturing including silica surface modification, organic synthesis, and chemical process development and optimization. Conducts research, analysis, and experimentation to troubleshoot all chemistry related issues in silica media manufacturing, for such purposes as product and process development and application, quantitative and qualitative analysis, and improvement of analytical methodologies by performing the following duties.Description Summar
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Conducts production activities for silica based separation media and related intermediates
- Optimizes silica grafting and synthesis process to facilitate good process reproducibility and high volume production.
- Develops process strategies for high volume production of silica media using complex grafting processes and procedures.
- Co-manages with the product development chemist the transfer of production processes for new product introduction from R&D to Manufacturing.
- Uses common analytical methods for evaluating the performance of grafted silica synthesis or grafting process.
- Responsible for sustaining all chemistry related processes for Silica Manufacturing.
- Writes SOP and work instruction according to ISO 9001 requirements.
- Responsible for all current grafted Silica product lines and some latex syntheses.
- Plans, coordinates, and implements programs for Silica manufacturing process reproductibility.
- Analyzes and reports the performance data on various Silica production issues: productivity, quality control, specification ranges.
- Trains and supervises when needed production chemists and technicians production procedures.
- Maintains laboratory equipment and instrumentation, and recommends replacement as needed.
- Interprets results of laboratory activities to laboratory personnel and management.
- Other duties may be assigned.
Minimum Education and Experience Requirements
- Minimum: Bachelor’s in Chemistry and 8 years synthetic chemistry experience, grafting and surface modification of silica particles; or Master's degree in Organic Synthetic Chemistry with 4 years relevant experience; or Ph.D. in Organic Synthetic Chemistry required.
- Deep knowledge and experience in analysis of grafting and surface modification of polymeric materials required.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Distinguish between required and preferred or desired
- Demonstrate Thermo Fisher Scientific values – Integrity, Intensity, Innovation and Involvement
- Must have strong background in synthetic organic chemistry.
- Must have excellent inter-personal, communication and organizational skills.
- Expert knowledge of scientific principles, concepts, practices and standards in synthetic chemistry applied to chromatography is required
- Ability to independently design, plan and execute project tasks is required
- Ability to plan and control project timescales and execution strategies in complex technical and operational situations is required
- Ability to drive the realization of technical excellence and under the guidance of Manufacturing leadership is required
- Technical communication requirements: ability to produce and present original technical communication materials for internal and external audiences.
- Proficiency if PC software applications (Word, Excel, PowerPoint) is required
Thermo Fisher Scientific is an EEO/Affirmative Action Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, disability or any other legally protected status.
Join our Talent Community
If you're ready to make a difference in the world, you can do it here.Join