Thermo Fisher Scientific Inc. (NYSE: TMO) is the world leader in serving science, with revenues of $17 billion and 50,000 employees in 50 countries. Our mission is to enable our customers to make the world healthier, cleaner and safer. We help our customers accelerate life sciences research, solve complex analytical challenges, improve patient diagnostics and increase laboratory productivity. Through our premier brands – Thermo Scientific, Applied Biosystems, Invitrogen, Fisher Scientific and Unity Lab Services – we offer an unmatched combination of innovative technologies, purchasing convenience and comprehensive support.
When you’re part of the team at Thermo Fisher Scientific, you’ll do important work, like helping customers in finding cures for cancer, protecting the environment or making sure our food is safe. Your work will have real-world impact, and you’ll be supported in achieving your career goals.
All of our employees share a common set of values - Integrity, Intensity, Innovation and Involvement. Our ability to grow year after year is driven by our ability to attract, develop and retain world-class people who will thrive in our environment and share in our desire to improve mankind by enabling our customers to make the world healthier, cleaner and safer.
The Clinical Diagnostics Division (CDD) is an organization made up of business units which develop, manufacture and market instruments and consumables that serve a broad, diverse mix of diagnostic segments. The major business units include Niche Diagnostics, Biomarkers, Clinical Diagnostics Systems, and Contract Manufacturing. The division manages a diverse portfolio of products servicing multiple end markets. CDD maintains recognized technology and manufacturing leadership in the markets in which it serves. CDD has approximately $750M in revenue and 2,000 employees across the Americas, Europe and Asia. Principle global business locations are in California and Virginia for the United States; primary global business unit locations also include Germany and Finland. Emerging markets focus particularly in the China marketplace.
The main location for the CDD-Niche Diagnostics global business unit is in Fremont, California where this role will reside.
This is the lead HR leadership position for the CDD-Niche Diagnostics business unit, responsible for developing HR strategies and managing all aspects of Human Resources for the business unit. This business minded, solutions oriented leader will focus on organization assessment, development and effectiveness, talent management, change management and employee engagement to ensure support for the business growth and customer focused strategies. He/she will also ensure the HR team continues to build capabilities and experiences as HR business partners and demonstrates leadership in the implementation of HR transformation strategies.
This position will also provide business partnership support to Division level Leadership Team members who are based in/aligned to the Fremont location as well as their functional teams.
- Work as a key member of the senior leadership team in developing HR strategies to support business strategy/goals/initiatives. Translate business strategy and objectives into goals, develops plans in alignment with business imperatives, while assuring compatibility with enterprise values, ethics and policy.
- Plan, develop, and implement HR processes and programs to increase the productivity, competence, and effectiveness of the organization.
- Develop a solid strategic human resource plan to support and drive the needs of the business; including attracting, developing and retaining top talent. Identify opportunities for process improvements.
- Consult with business/functional leaders to provide and make recommendations in such areas as talent acquisition, organizational assessment, performance and career management, compensation, succession planning, organizational structure, work force planning and change management.
- Build strategies with the business that translate into strong employee engagement and positive employee relations.
- Provide leadership in, and promotion of, a positive One Thermo Fisher company culture by being an advocate for employees while achieving a balance with all levels of company goals.
- Provide direct supervision to the Niche Diagnostics HR team and partner closely with HR centers of excellence functional teams, regional teams and peers within the Division to meet the goals of the business unit and overall CDD. This includes leading Division level initiatives as assigned.
- Lead and influence in a matrixed organization to achieve business goals, partnering with centers of excellence, regional field teams and peers.
- Bachelor’s degree in Business, human resources, psychology, related discipline required.
- Eight to ten years of progressive experience in all aspects of Human Resources and as a HR Business Partner.
- Experience supporting multiple manufacturing operations (or substantial non-exempt population) strongly preferred.
- Ability to gain trust, respect, and support through business knowledge and functional competence.
- Proven consultative HR experience, with a strong bias for action and results.
- Exposure to process improvement efforts (i.e. Six Sigma, practical process improvement)
- Experience successfully operating in a decentralized, matrix organization environment. Ability to execute and influence across geographic/functional lines.
- Ability to communicate complex information in an understandable, concise manner.
- Technically savvy and ability to use HRIS databases and Microsoft office applications and perform analysis, organize data to influence key messages and drive business decisions.
- Ability to identify/select/develop and retain critical talent.
- Fluency in English language, both written and verbal.
- Willingness and ability to travel 10-15% of the time.