About Thermo Fisher Scientific
Thermo Fisher Scientific Inc. (NYSE: TMO) is the world leader in serving science, with revenues of more than $20 billion and approximately 65,000 employees globally. Our mission is to enable our customers to make the world healthier, cleaner and safer. We help our customers accelerate life sciences research, solve complex analytical challenges, improve patient diagnostics, deliver medicines to market and increase laboratory productivity. Through our premier brands – Thermo Scientific, Applied Biosystems, Invitrogen, Fisher Scientific and Unity Lab Services – we offer an unmatched combination of innovative technologies, purchasing convenience and comprehensive services.
Provide overall controllership and financial leadership to the Customer Channels Group (CCG) and Pittsburgh Shared Services team. This position manages the Group’s financial reporting processes, providing accurate and timely data; ensures SOX and regulatory compliance and provides the Group with technical accounting guidance. This position has liaison responsibility with the domestic shared service functions including, General Accounting, Credit & Collections, Accounts Payable & T&E, Payroll and Inventory reporting/analysis.
- Drive process improvement and productivity through coordination of Financial Shared Services and the remainder of the business including; Customer Service, Supply Chain, Portfolio Management, Commercial and Leadership.
- Coordinate problem resolution acting as the single point of contact for escalation actions between Financial Shared Services and the remainder of the business
- Own the business’ financial control environment, driving to strong internal controls and educating on the risks of the lack of controls. Ensure controls support safeguarding company assets and providing accurate financial records including continued compliance with Sarbanes-Oxley 404.
- Lead and coordinate the annual audit for CCG working closely with PWC, FSSI and the business. Lead efforts to resolve issues encountered during the audit.
- Lead and work with the ppi team on process improvement and productivity projects including systems implementation, as required; be part of the solution.
- Coordinate responses to Internal Audits working with the FSSI and other parts of the business to ensure that control issues are addressed and audit findings are resolved.
- Perform balance sheet reviews; drive to full reconciliations and accurate account balances.
- Coordinate the periodic reporting of financial and operating results for the shared service functions; looking for opportunities to improve profitability.
- Lead, working with executive management, the quarterly certification process, ensuring that all issues are thoroughly vetted.
- Translate corporate goals into shared services strategies to deliver high quality, cost effective, and value-add services across the organization.
- Perform special projects and ad-hoc reporting and analysis as required.
The ideal candidate will have:
- Degree in Accounting or Finance, preferably an MBA or CMA/CPA certification.
- 6 - 10 years of related experience in financial analysis, reporting and accounting leadership within a large, professionally managed operating company.
- 3+ public accounting experience.
- Minimum of 2 years in an independent controller position.
- Strong track record of implementing internal controls and assimilating, educating and implementing technical accounting pronouncements.
- Excellent academic credentials, process orientation, a strong aptitude in financial analysis, as well as a technical foundation in accounting.
- Exhibits excellent, open, and proactive communication capabilities, identifying and addressing issues via open, candid dialogue; excellent interpersonal skills and customer service orientation.
- Experience leading diverse global financial consolidations in an accurate and timely manner.
- Demonstrated ability to thrive in a collaborative and highly matrixed environment.
- Outstanding communication, interpersonal skills, and customer service orientation.
- Self-motivated with high bias for action.
- Track record of developing meaningful relationships at all levels within an organization and can operate effectively in a matrix reporting structure.
- Able to energize and influence a wide spectrum of people, including senior financial and operational professionals.
- Experience in process improvement activities.
- Strong track record of implementing financial controls.
- Demonstrated history of driving shared services functions.
- Strong team building skills and proven ability to work with a diverse group of people.
- Ability to develop high levels of credibility and forge solid and positive professional relationships with subordinates, peers, and executive leaders.
- Effective oral and written communication skills.
- Global experience.
- 10-15% travel requirement.
This position has not been approved for Relocation Assistance.
Join our Talent Community
If you're ready to make a difference in the world, you can do it here.Join