Category Manager Genomics
Working with the European Category Director Life Sciences, the Category Manager Genomics will develop the portfolio and drive Life Sciences expansion throughout Europe. The Category Manager Genomics will propose, develop, and implement strategies for the Portfolio in order to meet defined commercial, financial and strategic goals. Through exposure and direction of initiatives and tactics with suppliers and sales teams. The post holder will drive revenue and profit growth for the division and corporation.
Develop and execution of a European portfolio / supplier strategy for the Life Sciences Genomics group of products and suppliers he/she manages. This should encompass portfolio expansion, product margin improvement, supplier funding and support of ‘Share of Wallet’ initiatives.
Establishing strong, commercially effective relationships with the European leadership team of the key suppliers in the category (business, sales and marketing leaders).
Lead (annual) negotiations with suppliers in their portfolio to secure the most advantageous position for the company regarding pricing, product delivery and supplier support for the products, without compromising the company’s commitment to its clients. Such negotiations should ultimately be focused on increasing profitability for the corporation. Secure those benefits, where appropriate, using Marketing Adjustment functionality within the IBS system.
Create a Supplier / Product strategy that drives the establishment of a consistent pan-European portfolio, looking to necessary rationalisation and harmonisation, which drives maximum commercial advantages for the RSD business and a consistent customer experience (product, price & service). This includes building a robust Private Label portfolio as appropriate for the category.
Work with the Category Director to continually assess product / market opportunities/gaps as they relate to the category. Be responsible for new supplier development activities that add new products and categories that will supplement the portfolio and drive profitable revenue growth. Ensure that new launches are delivered in a consistent manner through use of standardized product launch packs using an agreed pan-European process.
Actively champion the Preferred Supplier Program as it relates to their category. Externally, through preferential focus on preferred suppliers – meetings, securing promotional campaigns, joint sales engagement activities, etc. Internally, through championing preferred suppliers with Sales & Marketing colleagues that results in tangibly better performance than non-PSP suppliers in the same category.
Travel on an as required basis to maintain strong relationships with the suppliers, as well as providing support to field sales organizations at regional meetings and with customers
Develop and implement business plans with a significant focus on increasing sales and margins. These include coordinating supplier blitzes in the field, coordinating new product launches and working with the commercial product management & marketing teams on promotional materials and other selling tools. From a margin standpoint, management of list price strategy and customer discount structures (PPG’s), in conjunction with the Strategic Pricing function.
Support operational improvement activities, through close working with the relevant functions, such as Compliance, Finance, Customer Service and the Supply Chain function. These efforts should be centered on increasing the customer experience, driving improvements to operational efficiency and ensuring the activities of the Product Management function meet regulatory requirements. Where appropriate, these should be backed up through the inclusion of relevant terms in contractual and / or service level agreements with suppliers.
Develop compelling marketing/promotional programmes/campaigns to support revenue and margin generation of products through the commercial and ecommerce teams working closely with sales and marketing.
Manage the annual price roll for setting list pricing with associated focus on obtaining and agreeing supplier cost pricing.
Be responsible for ensuring that products are created and maintained in the business systems
Drive internal process improvement through active support of the PPI process.
Candidate Experience, Qualifications & Competencies:
- Candidates will need to have a significant and successful commercial or category management experience in the European lab Life Sciences distribution or manufacturing.
- Candidates will be required to demonstrate successful track record in a commercial role or category management in European lab Life Sciences distribution or manufacturing.
- Candidates must have a bachelor’s degree in business, operations, or a scientific field (Preferably Life Sciences related). An advanced degree in business/marketing or science is preferred.
- Potential candidates should have relevant experience in at least two (and preferably more) of the following areas:
- Prior commercial experience in a product management, merchandising or marketing organisation
- A technical background in science or research, to include an awareness of technology trends and the evolution of Life Sciences and scientific applications.
- Previous experience with category management
- Industry-related experience in laboratory products and Life Sciences
- Contract negotiations with detailed and complex terms in such areas as pricing, delivery, support and services
- Willingness to travel 10-20%, some international is expected
- Excellent interpersonal, customer orientation and problem solving, can-do attitude, self-motivation
- Multi-tasking experience and flexibility to address immediate priorities and still manage deadlines with longer-term projects and strategic initiatives.
- Have an excellent command of internal systems; identify patterns and trends within data to assist with category analysis that will demand excellent knowledge of research tools e.g.: Excel and Business Intelligence systems.
Join our Talent Community
If you're ready to make a difference in the world, you can do it here.Join