About Thermo Fisher Scientific
Thermo Fisher Scientific Inc. (NYSE: TMO) is the world leader in serving science, with revenues of more than $20 billion and approximately 65,000 employees globally. Our mission is to enable our customers to make the world healthier, cleaner and safer. We help our customers accelerate life sciences research, solve complex analytical challenges, improve patient diagnostics, deliver medicines to market and increase laboratory productivity. Through our premier brands – Thermo Scientific, Applied Biosystems, Invitrogen, Fisher Scientific and Unity Lab Services – we offer an unmatched combination of innovative technologies, purchasing convenience and comprehensive services.
- Develop and implement an industrial hygiene monitoring program to ensure protection of employees and lead on control measures to mitigate potential exposures;
- Lead continuous practice improvements by the development and implementation of new EHS systems and processes to support the business liaising with the Corporate EHS Industrial Hygiene Unit;
- Develop and deliver training to support the business;
- Audit compliance with EHS policies;
- Lead the company Employee Safety Representatives directing their tasks and training needs in conjunction with their line managers;
- Devise and support risk assessments for the company, including development and auditing of risk assessments and control measures in place;
- Review and update company procedures and provide practical workshops and briefing sessions;
- Lead and direct non-departmental safety staff associated with Fire Response, Face Fit Testing, etc;
- Represent the company’s culture for EHS compliance and be a focal point for advice;
- Be highly knowledgeable and to provide effective decisions within production;
- Interface with the Waste Management Contractor to ensure effective service delivery to the business;
- Audit and review the company accident and incident investigation system ensuring statutory compliance and insurance requirements;
- To assist the Site Lead in the development, accreditation to, maintenance and continual improvement of an integrated EHS management system;
- To assist the Site Lead in the development and introduction of EHS policies and procedures to support an integrated EHS management system.
- Act as the Biological Safety Officer chairing the biological safety committee;
- Delivery of Training/ Workshops as required to communicate company policies & procedures, including around the handling of high risk biological agents and genetically modified organisms;
- Development of risk assessments, including evaluation of GMO constructs and handling of group 3 organisms and class 2 and 3 activities;
- Investigation of safety accidents and incidents producing reports in a timely manner, including those related to biological agents;
- Undertaking EHS compliance audits;
- Delivery of company induction programs;
- Updating of company EHS procedures;
- Attending meetings representing EHS;
- Coordinating ESR meetings and workshops;
- Inspection and spot checks of contractors;
- Supporting the Permit to Work system;
- Supporting the site management responsibilities;
- The lead member of the Fire Response Team;
- Approving contractors to the company approval system;
- Supporting managers and staff with EHS queries;
- Supporting the Safety Certification system;
- Company first aider coordinator;
- Support the Corporate EHS team with implementation of corporate standards;
- Waste management interface;
- Comply with GMP requirements and company rules, policies and procedures.
List non-exhaustive - other specific responsibilities will be required as appropriate to the function of the EHS Department.
- Understand emergency procedures and comply with safe systems of work.
- Ensure compliance with environment, health and safety rules, signage and instructions at all times.
- Ensure prompt reporting and investigation of all accidents, near misses and breaches of rules.
- NEBOSH Diploma or similar qualification.
- Biological safety and experience in working with high hazard biological agents.
- Experience in handling schedule 5 materials and the associated security requirements.
- Experience in waste management.
- A chartered member of IOSH.
- Experience with health & safety systems e.g. risk assessments, incident reporting.
- Computer literate, excellent Word, Excel and PowerPoint skills.
- Ability to work with others to achieve results.
- Ability to work to critical timelines.
- An excellent planner, who can envisage short-term milestones which the company must achieve to succeed in the long-term.
- Motivation and ability to self-manage.
- Outstanding communication skills, both written and oral, and the self-confidence to use these skills to influence others to buy into proposals and plans.
- Perseverance and ability to accept resistance.
- Ability to work with others to achieve results.
Join our Talent Community
If you're ready to make a difference in the world, you can do it here.Join