Key duties and responsibilities:
The Category Leader reports to the Director, Global Sourcing for Plastics, and leads strategic category management objectives in Eastern Europe. Focusing on primary & secondary Packaging category [Corrugate, Cold chain, Bags, box, etc.]. Candidate will drive associated supplier excellence in areas of quality, cost, on time delivery, lean and responsiveness.
Key duties and responsibilities:
- Project Management - Lead and support concurrent Sourcing projects to effective resolutions and results.
- Demonstrated ability to manage external vendors, contract manufacturers, and contract design firms
- Working knowledge of molecular biology, chemistry, and/or biology preferred.
- Low volume and high volume fabrication techniques, costs, and tradeoffs
- Experience with FDA regulated system development/design control is a plus
- Create and evaluate Total Cost of Ownership (TCO) analyses to determine best LCR Sourcing solution
- Serve as primary coordinator of Supplier Business Reviews (SBR’s) and driving RAILS completion
- Research current spend and supplier utilization to determine opportunities for improved costs, quality, on-time delivery and service.
- Serve as a primary evaluator of potential new suppliers
- Solicit and analyze bids and negotiate binding contracts with suppliers.
- Play an active role in developing and overseeing supplier transition plans as needed.
- Technical visits - Visit suppliers regularly to assess available capacity, address cross site issues and ensure that suppliers continue to maintain and improve upon their standards of excellence that led to their being selected as a Thermo Fisher supplier in the first place.
- Identify and develop new Eastern Europe suppliers that are aligned with the Sub category strategy in Global Plastics and Other categories for Thermo Fisher’s requirements today and in the future.
- Play an active role in the selection of advanced manufacturing processes, capabilities and supply chain advancements.
- Develop and implement programs for improving supplier productivity including value engineering, value added services, pricing, process improvement, outsourcing, lean sourcing and total cost improvements; in conjunction with other elements of the Supply Chain team.
- Serve as a primary focal point for understanding and clearly communicating developments and changes at suppliers in technology and in industry trends that may affect assigned commodities.
- Develop strong team working relations within Thermo Fisher and our preferred supply base.
- Play an active role in cross divisional RFQ’s and transition of products.
- Provide guidance in the supplier performance procedure activities with the top suppliers.
- Assist as required in support of PPI projects.
- Serve as a mentor for Site Sourcing employees.
Qualifications, experience and competences:
- Minimum of 5 years experience in Sourcing with 5+ years in the Packaging Category including a strong background in outsourcing.
- Advanced knowledge of suppliers' manufacturing processes and materials applications. Qualified to MS/BS degree level in Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Materials Science or equivalent
- Relevant experience managing corrugate suppliers and die makers
- Supplier management and value engineering
- Understanding of phase gate development processes and methodologies across multiple disciplines and subject matters is preferred.
- Materials and rapid prototyping techniques
- Track record of applying a variety of tools and techniques that lead to significant total cost of ownership improvement.
- Proven contract negotiating and project management skills.
- Experienced in lean sourcing.
- In depth risk assessment and mitigation experience.
- Experienced using e-Sourcing tools; specific experience with Ariba would be an advantage.
- Strong skills with Microsoft office suite, particularly Powerpoint & Excel (Vlookup, Pivot tables, macros).
- Excellent verbal and written communication and presentation skills.
- Exceptional interpersonal skills.
- Experienced in working within cross-functional teams and international teams.
- Ability to communicate and manage in a matrix organization with multiple business partners and stakeholders frequently on a remote basis.
- Must be a self-motivated team player who is able to work at all levels both internally and externally with minimal supervision.
- Fluent in local language, and English is essential; fluency in German is desirable.
- Must be willing to travel up to 50% (including international travel)
Join our Talent Community
If you're ready to make a difference in the world, you can do it here.Join