Position Summary: The Senior Tax Analyst is responsible for various aspects of federal, state, and local income and franchise tax compliance, reporting, income tax accounting, and research and planning for Thermo Fisher Scientific and its affiliated companies. Thermo Fisher Scientific is a large multi-national corporation with over 1,000 domestic and foreign subsidiaries and affiliates. This individual will play a key role with regard to the U.S. statutory reporting and compliance for these legal entities.
Federal, State, and Local Compliance – Thermo Fisher Scientific employs a complex legal structure that results in six federal consolidated tax groups, multiple state unitary groups, and over 500 state income and franchise tax reporting obligations. This individual will:
- Coordinate, direct, and review federal and state corporate tax returns prepared by staff personnel.
- Prepare more complex federal and state corporate tax returns and related components within these returns including but not limited to LIFO calculations, income and expense allocations, R&D tax credits and other aspects of federal and state income tax return.
- Preparation and review of extensions, quarterly estimated tax calculations, annual reports and business license renewals for multiple states.
- Monitor tax compliance calendar to ensure that all returns, extensions, elections, and other tax filings are submitted timely.
- Respond to notices and correspondence from various tax jurisdictions.
Tax Research and Planning
- Research and document findings with respect to federal and state tax treatment with respect to specific transactions.
- Identify, quantify and communicate tax planning strategies for all entities including researching and developing the most tax efficient action plan and other opportunities that seek to minimize cash taxes paid and effective tax rate.
- Assist Tax Manager with acquisition related due diligence and integration.
- Monitor changes in legislation so as to properly prepare and respond to changes in corporate tax laws.
Accounting for Income Taxes – The rules and reporting requirements under ASC 740 are becoming increasingly more complex as applied to Thermo Fisher Scientific. As such, this individual will be called upon to:
- Assist with preparation of quarterly and year-end income tax provision for the consolidated group of subsidiaries and affiliates.
- Gather and analyze data to assist in the determination of the overall effective income tax rate.
- Analyze and reconcile various income, franchise, and other tax accounts maintained within accounting ledgers so as to properly calculate and report current and deferred tax balances.
Tax Audits – The IRS and states are becoming far more aggressive in challenging business structure, transaction purpose, documentation and other area’s impacting the corporate income tax returns. This individual will:
- Work with Director and Manager of Tax Audits and Compliance to defend company in federal and state tax audits.
- Draft IDR responses and meet with IRS or state examiners to review, discuss, and resolve exam issues.
- Review proposed adjustments so as to verify accuracy, appropriateness, and correct interpretation of statutory and regulatory pronouncements as they apply to Thermo Fisher Scientific.
Tax forecasting and projection
Other - Maintain regular communication with various business unit and subsidiary controllers to understand direction and activity of the company so as to be able to proactively provide tax consulting and advise as needed.
- BS/BA (Masters in Taxation preferred)
- 4 - 7 Years Experience
- Certified Public Accountant
Thermo Fisher Scientific is an EEO/Affirmative Action Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, disability or any other legally protected status.
Join our Talent Community
If you're ready to make a difference in the world, you can do it here.Join