The role of Director R&D will report to both the Senior Director of APAC R&D and VP of Platform R&D GSD. The incumbent will lead a team of highly talented R&D personnel including, assay development and V&V scientists, firmware as well as hardware engineers. The team will be responsible for develop new products across the divisions in the Life Sciences Solutions Group, closely collaborating with the R&D teams in different business units.
This role will be a member of the Singapore site and Southeast Asia Taiwan leadership team. In addition, he/she will be a key leader in the APAC R&D organization. The incumbent will work closely with cross-functional representatives to drive technical and operational milestones during the product development life cycle.
The Director of R&D will have responsibility for providing direction and focus to meet or exceed GSD/LSG objectives as follows:
Drives Growth through Innovation, PPI and NPI:
- Build a sustainable NPI pipeline across the divisions in the company for both instrumentations and assays.
- Continue to build expertise in IVD development and V&V and grow the project pieplines in this area
- Drives a culture of innovation to enhance IP portfolio generated in Singapore
- Identify collaboration opportunities with Universities, Research Institutions, Start-ups as well as small and medium enterprises in Singapore.
- Performs technology assessments presented by these organizations and matching them to the needs of the divisions in the company.
- Utilizing the PPI business system to enhance productivity and reduce development cost.
New Product Development:
- Align all NPI development strategy with the vision of APAC R&D organization
- Work across the different R&D Teams in APAC to achieve NPI goals
- Uses deep understanding of customer workflows in Laboratory Research and IVD markets to guide customer and product requirements
- Partnering with PMO ensure that all NPIs gate reviews are on time
- Provide leadership to the technical team in managing technical, schedule and implementation risks
- Effectively communicates with Business stakeholders and ensure their expectations are managed appropriately
- Work across cross functional teams in operations to ensure the successful implementation of NPIs to mass production and meeting all necessary regulatory as well as quality requirements
Finance and Resource Management:
- Ensure that all R&D resources are absorbed and allocated to projects
- Build a scalable and flexible workforce
- Manage Singapore R&D spending effectively within 3% of allocated budget
- Represent Singapore R&D capabilities and achievements to senior leaders in the company
- Decisive leader with ability to lead and empower teams to develop impactful short and long-term strategies and action plans and drive for results
- Inspires, Influence and motivate employees within the depart and across functions to meet and exceed objectives
- Builds R&D leadership and technical bench strength.
- Assigns the appropriate technical expertise and leaders to each NPI to ensure success, optimize time to market and provide growth opportunities to employees.
- Attracts, engages, develops, and retains top talent at all levels of the organization.
- Initiates and co-leads development and department activities including talent review (HRR), recruiting, and training programs with HR
Key Selection Factors
The ideal candidate will have:
- Degree in Engineering and/or Life Sciences. A PhD in the latter with exposure to Instrument development is an advantage.
- At least 6-8 years of working experience in the Life Science industry.
- Knowledge of and developing products under ISO 13485 regulations is essential
- Strong track record of successfully delivering products to market and driving results with a sense of urgency. A track record in launching IVD products is preferred.
- Experience leading, developing and building R&D teams.
- Strong communication and networking skills with demonstrated ability in building relationships with senior business leaders and influencing R&D partners, vendors as well as internal staff
- Strong talent management and people development and engagement skills
- Demonstrated success working in a global matrixed-environment.
- Demonstrates passion and enthusiasm for an organization’s vision, and motivates, leads, and empowers others to achieve organizational goals
- Strong presence; capacity to influence and inspire through verbal, written and presentation communications skills
- Willingness to travel up to 30% as required
- Demonstrates and drives Thermo Fisher values – Integrity, Intensity, Involvement and Innovation (The Four I’s)
Join our Talent Community
If you're ready to make a difference in the world, you can do it here.Join