When you’re part of the team at Thermo Fisher Scientific, you’ll do important work, like helping customers in finding cures for cancer, protecting the environment or making sure our food is safe. Your work will have real-world impact, and you’ll be supported in achieving your career goals.
Location/Division Specific Information
South San Francisco, CA
Our Genetic Sciences business is at the forefront of innovation for genetic analysis research and clinical applications. Our teams are develop platform and content solutions that help bring criminals to justice, accelerate disease research, and keep the world’s food supply safe. We also develop advanced methods for rapid testing and detection of viruses such as Zika and Ebola, helping to prevent global outbreaks. There is no limit to the impact our technologies can have on the world, and as a member of our team you can play a critical role in helping us fulfill our mission.
How will you make an impact?
Drives Growth through Innovation:
- Drives GSD strategic objective to transform from tools provider to solutions provider
- Identifies current and future market trends and opportunities and develop software solutions that will transform or change a market segment and accelerate growth
- Defines and prioritizes a product development pipeline
- Performs new technology assessments by evaluating new technologies, reporting competitive comparisons, and matching GSD capabilities with requirements.
- Strong track record of successfully developing new/innovative/breakthrough technologies and taking these technologies through to commercialization
Customer Workflow Knowledge:
- Uses deep understanding of the genetic analysis suite of tools and how they are used by our customers to develop software solutions that give us a competitive advantage
- Champions the Digital Science initiative by developing software that will significantly improve customer lab productivity, accelerate science and support faster transactions
- Uses UCI and VOC methodologies to develop use cases that significantly improves user experience
- Develops customer facing solutions for many applications using qPCR/CE/Microarray data and supports customer needs that require data exchange
- Applications are both desktop and web based so that our customers have flexibility as needed for their deployment
- Builds a great team and great culture across GSD.
- Attracts, engages, develops, and retains top talent at all levels of the organization.
- Demonstrates passion and enthusiasm for an organization’s vision, and motivates, leads, and empowers others to achieve organizational goals
- Decisive leader with ability to lead and empower teams to develop impactful short and long-term strategies and action plans and drive for results
- Ability to maintain high level of professional expertise through familiarity with current literature, competing technologies and/or products and attendance of seminars and meetings.
- Communicate the significance of recent developments to peer group. Encourages team to do the same
- Leads software talent development initiatives including talent review (HRR), recruiting, performance management, and training and development programs and initiatives
- Excellent organizational skills, including the ability to efficiently evaluate, prioritize and handle multiple and changing projects and priorities
- Strong presence; capacity to influence and promote enthusiasm and support through verbal, written and presentation communications skills
- Demonstrated the ability to design R&D strategies, influence stakeholders, and drive execution by leading through others in a cross functional global environment
- Ph.D. or M.S. in Computer Science or Computer Engineering
- 15+ years' management exp. leading software development for instrumentation projects and applications in the Life Sciences, Diagnostics or Biotech/Med Device field.
- Proficient in multiple SW languages, Op Systems, SW tools, SW development processes and SW Architecture. C, C++, Java, Linux, Windows, Unix, Android, OOD, SOA, SAS, Web technologies, database technologies, AWS and other Cloud tools, mobility tools, etc.
- Working skills in Software test methodology, automation and tool sets.
- Experience with agile development methodologies and tools.
- Use of software configuration management/ storage tools.
- Fundamental understanding of Quality Regs and FDA submissions.
- Deep understanding of compliance standards such as 820.30, ISO 13485, IEC 62304, ISO14971.
- Proven ability to assure quality and safety of products into commercialization.
- Ability to manage software resources that are dispersed globally.
- Track record of developing complex software products and seeing them through successful product launches.
- Track record of delivering software for the IVD market - FDA/ CE-IVD approval.
- Demonstrated record of delivering new innovative algorithms and working with scientists and engineers to deliver new cutting edge performance and functionality.
- Experience with high performance computing.
- Experience with mobility development platforms and cloud based infrastructure as a service and deployment of customer driven ‘Apps on the Cloud.’
- Working knowledge of qPCR/CE/MA instrument products and software/algorithms that are used for these systems.
- Demonstrates and drives the Thermo Fisher values – Integrity, Intensity, Involvement and Innovation (The Four I’s)
- Willingness to travel up to 25%, both domestic and internationally, as required
At Thermo Fisher Scientific, each one of our 65,000 extraordinary minds has a unique story to tell. Join us and contribute to our singular mission—enabling our customers to make the world healthier, cleaner and safer.