When you’re part of the team at Thermo Fisher Scientific, you’ll do important work, and you’ll be valued and recognized for your performance. With talented managers and inspiring coworkers to support you, you’ll find the resources and opportunities to make significant contributions to the world.
The Export Compliance Specialist III promotes compliant exports by Thermo Fisher businesses, including adherence to all applicable U.S. and non-U.S. laws and regulations and with Thermo Fisher policies. These efforts are undertaken principally through product classification to determine the Export Control Number (ECCN) and the Harmonize Tariff code or Schedule B numbers in accordance with US agencies that govern Export Compliances and Regulations. Agencies with whom the Traffic Coordinator may interface include, but are not limited to, the U.S. Commerce Department’s Bureau of Industry and Security (BIS) and its Census Bureau, U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP), the U.S. Treasury Department’s Office of Foreign Assets Control (OFAC), the U.S. State Department’s Directorate of Defense Trade Controls (DDTC), and the Nuclear Regulatory Commission (NRC).
The Export Compliance Specialist III participates in and performs training activities pertaining to export regulations (e.g., related to classification of goods, software, and technology; embargoed and of concern countries; license applications; denied parties screening; completion of export documents; etc.) as well as performing transactional activities for the above areas.
- Providing accurate ECCN and HTS classifications for products to ensure compliance with regulations.
- Building and enforcing classification processes and working with the rest of team to execute strategy.
- Daily processing of international orders utilizing Precision system; maintaining US Export compliance, as well as, upholding commercial requirements and best practices.
- Evaluating and correcting daily compliance issues with EPCI, RPL, DPL, Embargo, ITAR and US Export License Screening for international flagged orders.
- Product review and classification (HTS Code & ECCN) while working with vendors, consultants and intra-company personnel as required, supporting export compliance product classification or regulatory issues.
- Updating various Precision databases (specifically Product and Partner databases).
- Receiving and maintaining commercial data and performing daily audits to ensure complete compliance with government and export regulations.
- Identifying Precision software non-performance issues and coordinating with IMEX for corrective action.
- Creating commercial documents (Commercial Invoice, Packing List, Valuation Statements, etc.) for all international orders.
- Proper export declaration (EEI) via Precision or Automated Export System (AES) adhering to US Law.
- Supporting export compliance training and audit programs.
- Interfacing with Customer Service, Corporate Global Trade Compliance, CCG Regulatory Affairs, Sales, and Export Packing function. Externally interfacing with Department of Census and Customs.
- 3+ years of ECCN and HTS Classification experience.
- 3+ years of experience in international compliance.
- Bachelor’s degree and High School diploma or GED and/or equivalent experience in import or export (8 years in addition to the 3 years required).
- Strong knowledge of EAR, ITAR and US Census regulations.
- Background in a science related or chemical related field.
- Experience leveraging technology to drive process improvements.
- Strong written and oral communication skills.
- Strong analytical and computer skills.
- Outstanding organizational and follow-up skills; ability to work independently as well as in a team environment across multiple cities involving cross-functional businesses.
- Self-motivated and possess ability to handle multiple tasks.
This position has not been approved for Relocation Assistance.
At Thermo Fisher Scientific, each one of our 65,000 extraordinary minds has a unique story to tell. Join us and contribute to our singular mission—enabling our customers to make the world healthier, cleaner and safer.
Thermo Fisher Scientific is an EEO/Affirmative Action Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, disability or any other legally protected status.
Join our Talent Community
If you're ready to make a difference in the world, you can do it here.Join