When you’re part of the team at Thermo Fisher Scientific, you’ll do important work, like helping customers in finding cures for cancer, protecting the environment or making sure our food is safe. Your work will have real-world impact, and you’ll be supported in achieving your career goals.
Be part of the genome engineering revolution. This scientist will execute service-based projects that primarily consist of genome engineering and cell line generation activities using the cutting edge cloning and genomic engineering techniques from the Thermo Fisher Scientific portfolio. This scientist will be expected to work in a highly collaborative team environment, supporting some projects with some supervision of a senior scientist and leading some projects independently. Projects may include, but not be limited to, subcloning, plasmid preparations, in vitro transcription of RNA, lentiviral production, and cell line engineering; these projects may be driven by internal project design or by external collaborations.
Scope of Need
The successful individual will directly interact with senior R&D scientists and project management to execute project work plans. The scientist will be responsible for supporting or executing these plans to meet agreed upon deliverables and timelines. These activities will require a high level of independence as well as the ability to work in a highly cooperative team.
This role will involve the following tasks:
- Molecular biology
- Plasmid subcloning, DNA preparations, sequencing, in vitro transcription of RNA, packaging of lentivirus, PCR, RT-PCR, TaqMan® qPCR
- Generation of genome engineering tools
- Tissue culture (Culture of many cell types)
- Genomic editing (TALN and CRISPR based editing, design and implementation)
- Stable cell line generation (Transfection, transduction, antibiotic-selection, clonal expansion)
This individual will also be expected to support and participate in R&D and project management meetings.
Capabilities and Competencies
This position requires the following capabilities and competencies:
- Perform standard laboratory math calculations and solutions/media preparation
- Proven experience:
- Manipulating DNA plasmid constructs
- Designing and carrying out PCR
- Sterile tissue culture technique
- Transfecting mammalian cells
- Selecting stable cell populations and cloning cell lines
- Protein analysis (eg. western blots, immunocytochemistry)
- Genome engineering
- Ability to:
- Observe deviations from the expected outcomes and trouble-shoot
- Succeed with a moderate level of supervision and guidance
- Participate in a strong teamwork orientation with demonstrable influence/interpersonal skills
The Program Manager will interact with internal employees and management, as well as third-party providers, and customers.
The vast majority of working time will be spent in a laboratory environment. Work will take place in biosafety hoods in a tissue culture laboratory, working with various cell cultures. Cells will typically be validated by molecular biology techniques or functional assays. Time may be spent manipulating plasmid DNA constructs in a laboratory environment. Some time will be spent at the desk recording laboratory activities appropriately in notebooks.
Candidate must be capable of observing and adhering to lab safety standards and protocols.
This individual must be able to identify deviations from expected outcomes and participate in troubleshooting those deviations and suggesting alternatives.
Critical to success in this position will be the individual’s ability to work independently on some projects and to provide support collaboratively on others.
Equally important will be the ability to work as part of a team in the laboratory (extended R&D team) as well as a broader cross-functional team (R&D, Project Management, Collaborator).
Occasional weekend work may be required to maintain cell cultures properly.
- Bachelor’s degree or a master’s degree may be considered if they have a significant amount of the appropriate experience.
- 3+ years of experience in molecular biology techniques (DNA/RNA)
- 3+ years of experience in stable cell line generation
- 1+ year experience with genome engineering of mammalian cells
- 1+ year experience in industry