Thermo Fisher Scientific Inc. (NYSE: TMO) is the world leader in serving science, with revenues of more than $20 billion and approximately 65,000 employees globally. Our mission is to enable our customers to make the world healthier, cleaner and safer. We help our customers accelerate life sciences research, solve complex analytical challenges, improve patient diagnostics, deliver medicines to market and increase laboratory productivity. Through our premier brands – Thermo Scientific, Applied Biosystems, Invitrogen, Fisher Scientific and Unity Lab Services – we offer an unmatched combination of innovative technologies, purchasing convenience and comprehensive services.
The Life Science Business Unit within Thermo Fisher’s Materials and Structural Analysis Division provides high-value capital equipment workflow solutions for biological 3D imaging, ranging from atomic resolution imaging of protein complexes to volume acquisition of cellular compartment structures.
Cryo-Electron Microscopy Single Particle Analysis (Cryo-EM SPA) is primarily used in structural biology for determining the structure of protein complexes at high resolution, and this business segment is on an exceptional growth trajectory. To support this growth the Life Sciences Business Unit is expanding its Cryo-EM SPA product marketing team in order to support and accelerate further growth. Enabled by technological breakthroughs, it is essentially the scientific impact that is driving strong market demand. Cryo-EM SPA has become an essential tool to understand the mechanisms of life and disease at the atomic scale, and is transformative to drug discovery. As such the long-term impact on human well-being cannot be overstated, as evidenced for instance by the 2017 Nobel Prize in chemistry which was awarded to 3 pioneers in the Cryo-EM field.
Reporting to the Director of Product Marketing, and working in a global team of 6, the PMM drives accelerated market adoption through development of outbound marketing plans and strategic business development activities, while working closely with product managers to develop a long-term product and workflow roadmap.
Finally, Thermo Fisher Scientific offers a unique breadth of opportunities for growth, worldwide and over many different markets, technologies and functions
The 2017 Nobel Prize in Chemistry: Cryo-electron microscopy explained
Key responsibilities include:
- Working in compliance with legislation and IMS
- Strategic Planning – Develop global go-to-market strategy, outbound marketing strategy, specific regionalized go-to-market plans and oversee their execution. Conduct competitive analysis and develop competitive positioning. Create the core positioning, messaging and segmentation, establish pricing, bundling, and packaging.
- Innovation – Create the value proposition for existing and new products and new business models. Validate those with key customers. Create and deliver training for the Sales team.
- Marketing (Launch) Plan Execution – Work closely with Corporate marketing and deliver content to develop highly tailored go-to-market collaterals such as presentations, demonstrations, datasheets, white papers, web pages, and studies that highlight the value proposition of our solutions to new and existing market segments. Complete regular reviews of objectives versus plan to deliver quarterly and long term business objectives. Review key metrics to ensure achievement of the marketing plan and effective product launches.
- Sales Support – Maintain relationships with key opinion leaders and works to develop them into reference customers to help sales in a region or globally. Supporting new product sales promotions in the field with direct customer interaction, commercial and technical presentations and collateral.
- Product and business development – Assess needs of customers and markets, develop business plans to create solutions that will gain market share in new market areas. Monitor business performance (incl. bookings, margin, and market position), identify issues and drive improvement actions together with the business development and outbound marketing teams.
- Collect Voice of the Customer (VoC) and Market Trends – Identify, document and communicate why customers buy and how they use Thermo Fisher Scientific products; identify, document and communicate market trends to all relevant parts of the organization.
This position is ideal for a candidate with in depth experience in strategic business development and product marketing of capital equipment in the academic sector. The successful candidate is an experienced professional who thrives in a dynamic team, can drive market & business development and enjoys being exposed to a constant variety of complex issues.
The successful candidate will possess the following combination of education, experience and skills:
- Proven experience in strategic product marketing for capital equipment, including digital marketing & business development in the academic environment, including product launches
- Excellent communication ability (both written and verbal) and influencing skills including the communication of complex concepts to a variety of audiences
- Typically requires 4-5 years of experience in marketing, product management or applications management in a relevant environment.
- Drive for results and an ability to work within a diverse, cross-functional team across multiple sites
- Experience in interacting with highly technical customers and customer groups; able to systematically extract their present and future requirements
- The ability to envision new opportunities and to drive their implementation to achieve continuous business improvement
- University degree in a relevant scientific field and/or University degree in Business Administration
- Willing and able to travel internationally (up to 30%)
Join our Talent Community
If you're ready to make a difference in the world, you can do it here.Join