About Thermo Fisher Scientific
Thermo Fisher Scientific Inc. (NYSE: TMO) is the world leader in serving science, with revenues of $17 billion and approximately 50,000 employees in 50 countries. Our mission is to enable our customers to make the world healthier, cleaner and safer. We help our customers accelerate life sciences research, solve complex analytical challenges, improve patient diagnostics and increase laboratory productivity. Through our premier brands – Thermo Scientific, Applied Biosystems, Invitrogen, Fisher Scientific and Unity Lab Services – we offer an unmatched combination of innovative technologies, purchasing convenience and comprehensive support.For more information, please visit www.thermofisher.com.
Job Title: Material Handler I- Fixed term contract
Reports To: Distribution Supervisor
Group/Division: Specialty Diagnostics Group/Microbiology Division
Career Band: I
Job Track: Associate
Position Location: Surrey, BC Distribution Site - Microbiology Canada
Number of Direct Reports: n/a
Day/Shift (if applicable): 7:30 am-4:00 pm Monday to Thursday
7:30 am – 3:30 pm Friday
Material Handler I position is to perform all tasks related to fulfilling customer orders, receiving in-bound shipments, inventory replenishment, work area cleanliness, inventory management and any other request associated with supporting the quality system of the distribution department.
- Processing outbound shipments as well as in-bound shipments
- Follow all proper safety protocols and PPE requirements.
- Maintain a clean and safe work area and follow departmental and company policies.
- Use various shipping systems to dispatch outbound shipments.
- Meet departmental/site goals by efficiently prioritizing and communicating daily tasks.
- Organize work flow, estimate progress of order fulfillment, and adhere to work schedules (start time/end time, lunch and breaks) to ensure minimal disruption to work flow.
- Work cooperatively and efficiently with coworkers to achieve team, department and company metrics.
- Support to Quality Objectives by proactively reporting corrective and or/preventative actions to your immediate supervisor when warranted for the continuous improvement of operations.
- Perform all duties according to company Standard Operating Procedures and Quality System requirements. Follow all company and departmental quality policies.
- Efficiently and safely operate machinery and check for simple maintenance as needed and make slight adjustments when necessary. Report malfunctioning equipment immediately to supervisor and/or manager.
- Continuously assess the physical condition of the workplace regarding safety and ergonomic correctness.
- Report property damage and/or safety hazards to the Manager, Human Resources, Health and Safety or Senior Management immediately.
- Other duties as defined and assigned as required.
- Stands/walks: 90%, walks and stands intermittently during working day.
- Keyboarding 5%
- Handles papers: 10%
- Use of various Warehouse equipment. 50%
- Stoops, bends, lifts. 90%
Level of Physical Requirements:
- May be required to lift up to 50 pounds repeatedly throughout the day. 90%
Level of Visual Acuity:
- Prolonged computer use 5% (100% Shipper Role)
- Warehouse Environment 100%
- High School Diploma.
- Strong organizational skills and an ability to work with minimal supervision
- Lift up to 50 lbs. Push/pull up to 600 lbs skids.
- Operate Lift Truck, Hand Truck.
- Stand for sustained periods of time, approximately 8 hours a day.
Non-Negotiable Hiring Criteria:
- Must posses basic English communications skills, both written and/or verbal
- Must be able to comprehend and follow both written and/or verbal English communications
- Must be able to perform basic math calculations.
Thermo Fisher Scientific is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to the principle of diversity and is particularly interested in receiving applications from a broad spectrum of people. Accommodations for job applicants candidates with disabilities are available upon request.
Join our Talent Community
If you're ready to make a difference in the world, you can do it here.Join