The Sr. Transportation Specialist leads the management and coordination of the movement of product from key suppliers through consolidation centers in route to Fisher Distribution Centers (DCs). The specialist manages direct shipments from suppliers to our customers and provide guidance to others in the department. Position requires extensive contact with vendors regarding daily shipping quantities and routing via the most cost effective modes given the service requirements.
- Coordinate the loading and dispatch of carriers at suppliers, manufacturers, consolidation centers, and distribution centers.
- Schedule appointments for shipments into and out of our third party cross-dock locations. Coordinate the paperwork flow through the cross-dock facilities.
- Responsible for working with the carriers and receiving personnel at our DCs to help arrange delivery appointments.
- Responsible for tracking and tracing the end-to-end movement of all inbound shipments as well as the cost effectiveness of those shipments.
- Capture shipment history and report cost through an access database tool. Each shipment and its respective tracking number is recorded and cost rationalized as compared to alternate shipping modes. A net savings amount is calculated as projected shipping costs are compared across multiple modes.
- Work with the cross-dock partners to track, report, and dispatch product consolidated for the Fisher DCs.
- Resolve problems for Customer Service, Vendors and DC’s on product flow issues.
- Monitor the performance of “white glove” carriers through a CAPA event process. Assist where needed to ensure consistent and reliable premium delivery service. Initiate corrective action and ensure acceptable resolution to any issue related to this premium delivery service.
- Confirm that each vendor has access to the current routing guide and is following all instructions within the routing guide.
- Monitor vendor compliance related to carrier selection, mode selection, and shipping frequency.
- Identify opportunities for cost, quality, and service improvements in the operation of the inbound cross docks and our greater third party shipping network.
- Build multi-stop deliveries to DCs for specific vendors to optimize cost savings.
- Analyze data in access database to find more cost effective methods to move product and monitor carrier cost and service performance.
- Negotiate rates with carriers.
- Determine the proper transportation mode based on uniqueness of product and climate conditions.
- Manage lead times and transit times to ensure supply chain standards are met.
- Work with third party cross-dock service provider to identify and manage daily issues (documentation, scheduling, mis-shipments, OS & D, etc.).
- Work with the receiving personnel at the DCs to help manage the inbound receiving schedules.
- Monitor carrier lead times and make appropriate adjustments.
- Leads projects within the department and provides guidance on questions related to the movement of products.
- Acts as an escalation point for more complex issues.
- Less than 10% Travel.
- Bachelor’s Degree required in Logistics, Supply Chain, or a related field, or equivalent combination of experience and education, including a HS Diploma or GED.
- 4+ years of experience in the transportation or logistics industry.
- Proven ability to work with Microsoft applications such as Excel, Access, and Word.
- Demonstrated ability to work in a Transportation environment either independently or within a team setting.
- Excellent interpersonal skills to apply in communication with our business partners; including carriers, suppliers, and DC personnel.
- Solid communication skills (both oral and written).
- Ability to make quick and decisive decisions.
- Capable of working at a fast and demanding pace.
- Strong negotiating skills.
- APICS CPIM.
- Excellent knowledge of customer service practice and procedures.
This position has not been approved for Relocation Assistance.
At Thermo Fisher Scientific, each one of our 65,000 extraordinary minds has a unique story to tell. Join us and contribute to our singular mission—enabling our customers to make the world healthier, cleaner and safer.
Join our Talent Community
If you're ready to make a difference in the world, you can do it here.Join