When you’re part of the team at Thermo Fisher Scientific, you’ll do important work, like helping customers in finding cures for cancer, protecting the environment or making sure our food is safe. Your work will have real-world impact, and you’ll be supported in achieving your career goals.
This scientist will execute service-based projects that consist of high-throughput molecular biology and cell line generation activities that use cutting-edge cloning and genomic engineering techniques from the Thermo Fisher Scientific portfolio. This scientist will be expected to lead some projects independently and to work with other scientists in a highly collaborative team environment. Projects may include, but not be limited to, cloning and DNA preparation, in vitro transcription of RNA, lentiviral production, and cell line engineering, with cell engineering being the primary focus; these projects may be driven by internal project design or by external collaborations.
Scope of Need
The successful individual will directly interact with senior R&D scientists and project management to execute project work plans. The scientist will be responsible for executing or supporting these plans to meet agreed upon deliverables and timelines. These activities will require a high level of independence as well as the ability to work in a highly cooperative team.
This role will involve the following tasks:
- Tissue culture (culture of many cell types)
- Stable cell line generation (transfection, transduction, antibiotic-selection, clonal expansion)
- Genomic editing (TALN and CRISPR based editing, design, and implementation)
- Molecular biology
- Plasmid subcloning, DNA preparations, DNA sequencing, in vitro transcription of RNA, packaging of lentivirus, PCR, RT-PCR, TaqMan® qPCR
- Automation of plasmid cloning and molecular biology
This individual will also be expected to support and participate in R&D and project management meetings.
Capabilities and Competencies
This position requires the following capabilities and competencies:
- Perform standard laboratory math calculations and solutions/media preparation
- Proven sterile tissue culture technique
- Proven experience manipulating DNA plasmid constructs and with various forms of PCR
- Ability to observe deviations from the expected outcomes
- Ability to succeed with a moderate level of supervision and guidance
- Strong teamwork orientation with demonstrable influence/interpersonal skills
This position will benefit from:
- Proven experience generating stable cell lines
- Proven experience with genome engineering of mammalian cells
The Program Manager will interact with internal employees and management, as well as third-party providers, and customers.
The vast majority of working time will be spent in a laboratory environment. Most of the work will take place in biosafety hoods in a tissue culture laboratory, working with various cell cultures. Cells will typically be validated by molecular biology techniques or functional assays. Time may be spent manipulating plasmid DNA constructs in a laboratory environment. Some time will be spent at the desk recording laboratory activities appropriately in notebooks.
Must be capable of observing and adhering to lab safety standards and protocols. Occasional weekend work may be required to maintain cell cultures properly.
Critical to success in this position will be the individual’s ability to independently work on some projects and to provide support on others. This individual must be able to identify deviations from expected outcomes and participate in communicating and troubleshooting those deviations, and suggesting alternatives. Equally important will be the ability to work as part of a team in the laboratory (extended R&D team) as well as a broader cross-functional team (R&D, Project Management, Collaborator).
- Associate’s degree (required).
- 1+ year experience in molecular biology techniques (DNA/RNA)
- 1+ year experience in sterile tissue culture
- Bachelor’s degree
- Industry experience
- 1+ year experience in stable cell line generation
- 1+ year experience with genome engineering
This position has not been approved for Relocation Assistance.
Join our Talent Community
If you're ready to make a difference in the world, you can do it here.Join