About Thermo Fisher Scientific
Thermo Fisher Scientific Inc. (NYSE: TMO) is the world leader in serving science, with revenues of more than $20 billion and approximately 65,000 employees globally. Our mission is to enable our customers to make the world healthier, cleaner and safer. We help our customers accelerate life sciences research, solve complex analytical challenges, improve patient diagnostics, deliver medicines to market and increase laboratory productivity. Through our premier brands – Thermo Scientific, Applied Biosystems, Invitrogen, Fisher Scientific and Unity Lab Services – we offer an unmatched combination of innovative technologies, purchasing convenience and comprehensive services.
This position is responsible for ensuring compliant import and export activities including, without limitation, adherence to applicable U.S. and non-U.S. laws and regulations pertaining to international trade as well as ensuring compliance with Thermo Fisher Scientific corporate policies.
The candidate will interface with freight forwarders, US customs officers, custom brokers, and internal and external customers on all matters pertaining to customs and import and export regulations.
Key Duties & Responsibilities:
- Ensure day-to-day monitoring of all exports and imports of the business unit.
- Audit import entry filings; resolve discrepancies, request appropriate corrections, reconcile or protest as appropriate; verify valuation methodology including additions and subtractions such as assists and royalties.
- Submit and/or audit AES submissions.
- Collect import records from all major Customs broker (FedEx, UPS, OIA, DHL, Expeditors, etc.)
- Fulfill Customer Document Requests (i.e., Certificates of Origin.)
- Work with the local Chamber of Commerce to obtain document certification when required.
- Vendor Country of Origin Solicitation and system maintenance.
- HTS Classification and system maintenance.
- Manage the Foreign Visitor process and Visa Invitation Letters.
- Interact effectively with multiple functional areas including management, supply chain, distribution, engineering, finance, IT and legal.
- Ensure that the business has written up-to-date work procedures to ensure compliance with US and local import and export regulations and the corporate Import and Export Management Systems.
- Interface with carriers to assure compliance requirements and customers to ensure that their needs are met.
- Participate in training activities as required.
- Evaluate all new Government agency requirements to ensure import and export compliance with changes and incorporation into day to day operations and standard operating procedures.
- Maintain required import and export documentation according to US and local law and corporate policy.
- Communicate with suppliers to ensure they understand and adhere to requirements for proper importation of goods.
- Identify cost savings opportunities.
- Other projects, as deemed necessary.
Education, skill and experience requirements
- Associates degree, or equivalent work experience
- 2-4 years exposure to import and/or export requirements
- Experience in developing work procedures and written instructions
- Excellent oral and written skills
- Ability to work independently without daily oversight
- Excellent organizational skills
- Basic Excel knowledge
- Experience in logistics and/or a Customs Broker’s license.
- Ability to read and interpret government regulations.
- Ability to interact with other departments and communicate at a higher level is critical.
- BA or Equivalent degree
- SAP experience a plus
- Customer service-related experience preferred
Join our Talent Community
If you're ready to make a difference in the world, you can do it here.Join