When you’re part of the team at Thermo Fisher Scientific, you’ll do important work, like helping customers in finding cures for cancer, protecting the environment or making sure our food is safe. Your work will have real-world impact, and you’ll be supported in achieving your career goals.
Location/Division Specific Information
South San Francisco
The Clinical Next-Generation Sequencing business, part of our Life Sciences Solutions group. Personalized precision medicine has become a new paradigm in oncology treatment, offering hope for improved cancer treatments. Advances in next-generation sequencing (NGS) allow clinicians and laboratory professionals to routinely gather therapy-relevant molecular information in a timely fashion, a prerequisite for true personalized medicine in the face of a growing list of molecularly targeted drugs.
The Clinical Next-Generation Sequencing Division (CSD) offers multiple solutions for solid tumor biomarker testing to aid in identifying those patients eligible for treatment, based on Ion Torrent and Oncomine NGS technology.
How will you make an impact?
Are you passionate about next-generation sequencing (NGS) and enabling precision genomics? We have a full-time opening for a senior bioinformatics scientist/engineer in the AmpliSeq Designer software team. The individual will develop, optimize, and improve the core assay design pipeline that powers the AmpliSeq Designer web application. The individual will also develop and test bioinformatics-focused application features and third-party integrations. Further, the individual will support bioinformatics aspects of existing AmpliSeq panels and their content.
The successful candidate will be part of an innovative multi-disciplinary team developing applications for Ion Torrent DNA sequencing. As part of this team, they will be expected to work in a fast paced, complex setting to hard deliverables in a collaborative environment. Critical thinking, determination to succeed, the willingness and courage to push the boundaries on the possible and the drive to deliver are key attributes.
What will you do?
- Design, develop, optimize and improve the assay design pipeline that powers the AmpliSeq Designer web application
- Optimize and scale various aspects of the designer workflow, including speedup via parallelization, redesign and refactoring, increasing coverage and specificity etc.
- Work on third-party integrations and develop new features in the designer pipeline and AmpliSeq.com web application to support such integrations
- Translate scientific bioinformatics requirements into technical software designs
- Perform QA and QC testing on the pipeline and the web application in support of third-party integrations
- Support all bioinformatics aspects of AmpliSeq fixed/community/custom panels, including documentation on content and file formats, revision of files to support new features, scripts to convert formats and develop new reports
- Collaborate with a team of software developers and bioinformatics scientists to deliver software features in release cycles (in an agile development process)
How will you get here?
- PhD in Bioinformatics, Computational Biology, Computer Science, Biotechnology, Molecular Biology, or similar. MS and equivalent experience will be considered.
- Experience with multiple complete product development life cycles from concept to development and product testing and final release.
- An excellent understanding of genomics, molecular biology, and common biological techniques like PCR and next-generation sequencing.
- Excellent communication and organization skills.
- Experience with developing next-generation sequencing assays and/or analysis tools.
- Strong general bioinformatics skills. Hands-on experience with sequence analysis tools (e.g. Blast, bowtie, etc.) and file formats (bed, fasta, vcf etc.)
- Deep understanding of genomic databases, annotations & standards (dbSNP, Ensembl, RefSeq, COSMIC, HGNC etc.).
- Proven expertise with Perl, Python, SQL, Unix scripting.
- Prefer a proven track record on successfully developed bioinformatics related commercial software products.
- Prefer experience with cloud computing, parallel computing and big data.
At Thermo Fisher Scientific, each one of our 65,000 extraordinary minds has a unique story to tell. Join us and contribute to our singular mission—enabling our customers to make the world healthier, cleaner and safer.
Apply today http://jobs.thermofisher.com
Join our Talent Community
If you're ready to make a difference in the world, you can do it here.Join