This is a key business development role responsible for driving significant revenue growth and providing account management to a strong base of customers to maintain and expand the company’s position as a leader in clinical trial material management. The position is responsible for proposal development and marketing activities.
Business Development and Account Management
- Build strong understanding of assigned customers and their marketplaces through a broad range of information sources, including direct customer exchanges, networking, publications, market information, tradeshows, sales conferences and industry events.
- Actively solicits existing and potential new customers to gain commitment to our services.
- Lead all new business development activities inside assigned accounts, through proposal and negotiation, culminating in new contract agreements and “program” accounts
- Develop and manage efficient account development plans; track progress against key account development milestones; report out progress in regularly scheduled account review sessions.
- Prepares call plans to effectively manage time spent with customers for maximum sales impact while minimizing sales acquisition costs.
- Ensures that any major conflicts with customers around customer service level and billing issues are resolved.
- Prepares a variety of reports, as needed.
- Calls on all customers and conduct account reviews on major customers on an ongoing basis.
- Ensure effective cross-divisional and global coordination of account plans as applicable, including alignment with the global business development team.
- Provides input into Annual Operating Plan and participates in planning and review meetings.
- Conducts win/loss reviews to identify and share best practice.
Managing & Forecasting Sales Pipeline
- Assesses global sales opportunities early in sales cycle to ensure sales force is pursuing appropriate opportunities and working effectively.
- Provides realistic sales forecasts to management and communicates any significant changes or developments in a proactive and timely manner.
- Ensures that sales pipeline is filled with opportunities at various stages of sales cycle.
- Ensures that management is provided with realistic sales forecasts and is kept aware of any significant changes or developments.
- Regularly reviews forecast, pipeline and sales strategies with individual sales reps. Ensures that opportunities and leads are pursued in a timely way.
- Uses and manages in-house forecasting tool, JOTS.
Management of Proposals
- Support to determine the pricing strategy for applicable services, complying with target margins by utilizing a value-based pricing methodology, which includes costs, customer-value, competitive analysis, and market analysis
- Lead all proposal development activities, either in response to a customer RFP or proactively, including value proposition, terms, and pricing; lead pro forma review process to justify business proposal
- Clearly and broadly articulate components of negotiated contracts and ensure strong implementation and execution against customer and company expectations; work with assigned Project Manager to ensure smooth handoff and continued account development
- Ensures significant pricing proposals receive appropriate approvals.
- Coordinates efforts with relevant individuals to address non-standard terms and conditions.
- Perform win/loss analysis to identify key issues with service products or sales process and to make recommendations on opportunities for enhancement (new service ideas) or improvement (sales training, sales tools).
- Drive marketing related activities with an emphasis on visibility and brand.
- Specify, plan, coordinate and participate in industry conferences and exhibitions.
- Confident, outgoing, analytical, disciplined, agile, team oriented
- Results and proactive solution driven, the ability to think critically to overcome potential business hurdles to complete tasks
- Proactively cooperate with other departments especially with respect to proposal development
- Ability to effectively present to all levels of an organization internally and externally
- Must possess excellent organizational skills to manage multiple projects concurrently to meet agreed-upon deadlines, and prioritize and organize others’ work.
- Must possess solid interpersonal and persuasion skills to relate well to all levels of the organization, lead team to high levels of performance, work within a cross-functional team environment, and be able to influence others.
- Must possess excellent presentational and oral and written communication skills to formally present and document ideas, market data and strategic direction. Must be able to work collaboratively with other Thermo Fisher units and communicate effectively with various levels of the organization.
- Experience with business and proposal development, competitive profiles and pricing analysis
- 2-3 years experience with clinical trials including responsibility in related business or account development experience
- Strong communication skills - fluent in English & Chinese
- Ability to work in a multinational/multicultural environment
Non-Negotiable Hiring Criteria:
- A excellent command of both English and Chinese (spoken, reading and writing)
- Diploma or Degree in Life Sciences or Business Studies
- 3-5 years of experience in the Clinical Research Industry (Clinical Supplies or pharmaceutical manufacturing & packaging experience preferred)
0830 AM to 0530 PM core hours, additional hours as required.
Join our Talent Community
If you're ready to make a difference in the world, you can do it here.Join