When you’re part of the team at Thermo Fisher, you’ll do important work, like helping
customers in finding cures for cancer, protecting the environment or making sure our food is
safe. Your work will have real-world impact, and you’ll be supported in achieving your career
The position has overall responsibility for delivery of the site capital projects portfolio, ensuring on time efficiency initiatives and to budget, working closely with the functional Directors and stakeholders in all aspects of managing and providing the required project delivery in a GmP environment.
In particular, this will include establishing of user requirements, to design, installation and validation through to final commissioning, with focus on continual process improvement. Working with external contractors, suppliers and internal personnel. Day to day project management will include coaching and development of project team along with the introduction of appropriate technology and working practices.
The activities will be carried out in accordance with current statutory, regulatory and company safety and quality standards. This role will also be responsible for the Co-ordination of engineering and innovation related projects
Success in this aspect of the role will be demonstrated through Key Performance Indicator’s for availability and performance, safety and quality delivery of compliant solutions, development of a capable and competent team and growing profitability.
- Quality: To implement, maintain and measure within the projects area, a framework for compliance and ongoing improvement in quality performance and right first time culture. This will be in accordance with statutory, regulatory and company standards, procedures and systems regarding relevant cGMP and Quality Systems in the workplace.
- Customer Allegiance: To ensure the availability and reliability of project services and manufacturing equipment for the operational areas in order that they can achieve the plans to satisfy customer requirements. This will be achieved through the alignment and provision of engineering resource in accordance with the business plan.
- Team: To manage, coach and develop an effective and motivated team to achieve team, department and business objectives. To co-operate in cross-functional teams to remove barriers and time lags. To plan and effectively utilise the area training budget to improve their team’s contribution to the overall business performance. To take responsibility for their own development to increase their contribution to business performance. To apply company HR policies consistently throughout the area of managerial responsibility.
- Improvement & Efficiency: To identify and implement technology based and working practice solutions designed to reduce the overall cost per unit measures. To lead, participate and contribute to Practical Process Improvement (PPI) projects that deliver the business objectives in a cost effective manner.
- Fiscal: To prepare and manage the annual capital budget. To implement and manage financial measures that monitors the performance and drive continuous improvement in a cost-effective manner.
- Leadership: Undertake any duties on an ad-hoc basis as required by the Line Manager.
Decision Making / Financial Authority
- Justification and recommendation of service contracts.
- Justification and prioritization of capital investment proposals.
- Justification and recommendation of changes in working practices.
- Justification and recommendation of overall headcount levels.
- Quality Assurance – calibration, maintenance and improvement of area performance.
- Production and Warehousing – machine maintenance and innovation
- Planning – agreement of access to equipment that may affect output.
- Human Resources – HSE, recruitment, training and changes to terms and conditions.
- Project Managers – Liaise with the team to ensure cohesive working on relevant projects.
- Facilities Engineering - Facilities and Utilities management, Grounds and infrastrcuture.
- Contract service providers.
- Clients – Quality audits
- Equipment suppliers – specification of requirements and handover.
- Trade conferences – technology benchmarking
- Degree or HND in Engineering, Project Management or similar technical discipline with extensive experience of running a large complex projects.
- Computer literate
Essential Skills / Experience:
- Strong communication skills (verbal & written)
- Good standard of English (verbal & written)
- Management experience
- Good understanding of GMP environment or previous experience in a similar environment
- Controlled environment storage and distribution operations.
- Project management.
- Budget management.
- Establishment and management of service providers, including service level agreements.
- Line management
Thermo Fisher Scientific is an Equal Opportunities Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, colour, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or any other legally protected status.
Join our Talent Community
If you're ready to make a difference in the world, you can do it here.Join