Job Title: Supervisor, Manufacturing Synthetic Biology
Requisition ID: 61371BR
Thermo Fisher Scientific Inc. (NYSE: TMO) is the world leader in serving science, with revenues of more than $20 billion and approximately 65,000 employees globally. Our mission is to enable our customers to make the world healthier, cleaner and safer. We help our customers accelerate life sciences research, solve complex analytical challenges, improve patient diagnostics, deliver medicines to market and increase laboratory productivity. Through our premier brands – Thermo Scientific, Applied Biosystems, Invitrogen, Fisher Scientific and Unity Lab Services – we offer an unmatched combination of innovative technologies, purchasing convenience and comprehensive services.
Position Summary and Key Responsibilities
The Synthetic Biology department in Pleasanton is seeking a Manufacturing Supervisor with experiences in the area of molecular biology/biotechnology to support our manufacturing operations in organization and execution of production flows as well as reporting and documentation of production results. The Manufacturing Supervisor is responsible for leadership of the Gene Synthesis teams within the Synthetic Biology department manufacturing customer DNA sequences and Strings® with general responsibility for safety, quality, cost, compliance, and human resource development. This will involve liaising with all different functions within operations. This role will be responsible for ensuring proper and effective utilization of the teams to ensure all business requirements are met and will support the optimization of workflows and improving product quality. In addition, this position will support the establishment and implementation of new methods and laboratory equipment and will act also as an interface to several parts of the company in the US and Germany. Strong time management and organization skills along with interpersonal skills and ability to participate effectively in multidisciplinary teams to solve problems in manufacturing environment are essential.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Supervise with general responsibility for safety, quality, cost, compliance, and human resource development.
- Accomplishes manufacturing staff results by communicating job expectations; planning, monitoring, and appraising job results; coaching, counseling, and disciplining employees; initiating, coordinating, and enforcing systems, policies and procedures.
- Responsible to assist in leading efforts to drive continuous process improvement as it relates to targeted metrics and lean manufacturing.
- Recommends measures to improve production methods, equipment performance, and quality of product.
- Track worker performance by performing regular Gemba walks and responding to problems immediately.
- Record and report daily metrics within the Daily Management Tier System.
- Manage preventative maintenance program in the production area to ensure all PMs are completed on-time.
- Document standard work/SOPs and provide continuous feedback to team members to assure all are adhering to procedures and striving for continuous improvement and alignment with the objectives.
- Ensure proper initial and cross training is performed to a satisfactory standard and ensure proper cross training to avoid capacity delays.
- Identify all additional training needs and requirements and execute all necessary training requirements.
- Provide the training and guidance necessary to enable the employees to improve their own abilities and skill levels.
- Provide guidance, direction and leadership for the areas of supervision to ensure that products are manufactured with the highest level of quality in a safe and timely manner that will meet or exceed our customer’s expectation.
- Develops individuals and works teams such that they can operate effectively with minimal supervision.
- Creates an environment where employees can grow and develop into greater levels of contribution.
- Maintains work flow by monitoring steps of the process; setting processing variables; observing control points and equipment; monitoring personnel and resources; studying methods; implementing cost reductions; facilitating corrections to malfunctions within process control points; initiating and fostering a spirit of cooperation within and between departments.
- Maintains quality
- Manage the vacation schedules of all employees on shift.
Minimum Qualifications (must have):
- BS in Molecular Biology, Biochemistry or Chemistry and 5 years of experience in an biotechnological manufacturing environment or research or MS in Molecular Biology, Biochemistry or Chemistry and 2 years of experience in an manufacturing environment
- Working knowledge of process improvement, i.e.: Lean Manufacturing Principles
- Hands-on experience in molecular biology
- Proven knowledge in process validation
- Excellent written and verbal communication
- Ability to communicate effectively with people in other disciplines
- Working knowledge of process improvement
- Organized, responsible and dependable
- Interpersonal Skills
- Strong Motivator
Preferred Qualifications (nice to have):
- Experienced in the use of an MES or LIMS for manufacturing
- Experiences with product transfers or new product implementations within global teams
- Familiar with Scrum Methodology
- Proven skills of DNA manipulation methods, DNA cloning, DNA preparation, purification and quantification methods, Sanger sequencing
At Thermo Fisher Scientific, each one of our 65,000 extraordinary minds has a unique story to tell. Join us and contribute to our singular mission—enabling our customers to make the world healthier, cleaner and safer. Apply today http://jobs.thermofisher.com
Thermo Fisher Scientific is an EEO/Affirmative Action Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, disability or any other legally protected status.
Join our Talent Community
If you're ready to make a difference in the world, you can do it here.Join