Job Title: R&D Systems Engineer
When you’re part of the team at Thermo Fisher Scientific, you’ll do important work, like helping customers in finding cures for cancer, protecting the environment or making sure our food is safe. Your work will have real-world impact, and you’ll be supported in achieving your career goals.
How Will You Make An Impact?
Our Systems Engineering team is responsible for system and subsystem development, including requirement definition, performance, reliability, and verification that the implementation meets application and market needs.
This role is responsible for engineering robust automation design into the system and process for Wafer Dual Beam (WDB) systems. This person will contribute as an integral part of the product development team, driving the electro-mechanical design and software functionality required for the automated WDB system to meet application requirements. This person will ensure that the processes are appropriately characterized and controlled, championing quality from project inception to completion. This is an exciting opportunity and offers potential for growth.
In this position, you will join a team developing the preeminent innovative wafer-to-atomic information workflows, enabling our semiconductor customers to make timely decisions. By accelerating the information age, you will be helping make the world healthier, cleaner and safer.
What Will You Do?
- Author prototype automated routines that control complex electro-mechanical equipment within a specified envelope of performance, work with multi-disciplinary team to embed this functionality into the product design and verify resulting performance and robustness.
- Assume ownership of multiple functional characteristics and/or modules of a specified system.
- Drive system and automated process design improvements through data-driven analysis, determining appropriate control limits and variables for specifications.
- Contribute to the characterization of system performance of automated Wafer Dual Beam (WDB) microscope system using statistical analysis, design of experiment (DOE) and statistical process control (SPC).
- Support hands-on prototype electro-mechanical system integration and qualification.
- Identification and decomposition of system into subsystem requirements.
- Preparation of specifications, descriptions, interface control documents, software & hardware requirement documentation.
- Collaborate with a hardware and software engineering design team to design, develop, integrate and deliver robust automated products per system specifications.
- Work with a variety of equipment including SEM, FIB, HVPS, vacuum, gas chemistry, detectors, optics, robots, electro-mechanical systems and pneumatics.
How will you get here?
- A minimum 4-year university degree in Engineering, Science, Technology, or Math (STEM) discipline (Electrical Engineering and Controls Engineering preferred).
- A minimum of 2 years’ experience developing high performance electro-mechanical systems or subsystems used in semiconductor capital equipment or related industries.
- 2-5 years’ experience developing high performance electro-mechanical systems or subsystems used in semiconductor capital equipment or related industries.
- Preferred experience applying six sigma and performing statistical analysis and modeling.
- Experience applying “robust design” and model based systems engineering (MBSE) is preferred.
- Experience with standard laboratory instrumentation, electronics, and electromechanical systems is a plus.
- Proficiency applying a scripting language to produce a desired automated functionality.
- Hands-on capability to integrate, test and troubleshoot electro-mechanical systems.
- Must be willing to learn new technology.
- Must be willing to travel domestically and internationally as needed (20% maximum).
- Strong analytical perspective with the flexibility to demonstrate practical decision making is a plus.
- Ability for proactive, result-oriented performance, priority and time management.
- Aptitude and desire to apply systems engineering principles and science-based innovation to a wide range of cross-cutting problems.
- Capable of assembling and troubleshooting prototype systems involving mechanical, fluid, and electrical subsystem is strongly preferred.
Relocation Assistance Has Been Approved For This Position
At Thermo Fisher Scientific, each one of our 65,000 extraordinary minds has a unique story to tell. Join us and contribute to our singular mission—enabling our customers to make the world healthier, cleaner and safer.