When you’re part of the team at Thermo Fisher Scientific, you’ll do important work, like helping customers in finding cures for cancer, protecting the environment or making sure our food is safe. Your work will have real-world impact, and you’ll be supported in achieving your career goals.
How will you make an impact?
The individual will support environmental, health, safety and sustainability programs at the Thermo Fisher Scientific Eugene, Oregon site. This position supports the global EHS strategy through a program that seeks to proactively manage EHS & Sustainability in order to comply with all applicable regulations and Thermo Fisher Scientific standards, achieve a safe work environment, and minimize impact to the environment.
What will you do?
- Assist with implementing EHS and Sustainability programs and processes that are safe, environmentally sensitive and meet regulatory compliance requirements.
- Track and analyze site monthly Environmental Health and Safety trending metrics in collaboration with Site Safety Committee.
- Provide technical and regulatory support for chemical handling, biosafety, hazardous and bio hazardous waste, industrial hygiene and laser safety.
- Support compliance in construction and contractor based safety programs site-wide, including but not limited to: Lock Out/Tag Out, electrical safety, confined space safety, fall protection.
- Collect and maintain accurate EHS metrics while driving practical process improvements.
- Interface with regulatory agencies on EHS matters.
- Support EHS Sustainability initiatives at the site, and engage employees to get involved in projects resulting in less waste, using less energy and water.
- Support a culture where employees at all levels take ownership for safety. Engage employees in safety initiatives to eliminate or control safety hazards and reduce risk of an injury or chemical release.
- Engage site safety committees, and waste minimization/sustainability committees to ensure effectiveness.
- Manage programs within established EHS budget.
- Support OSHA Voluntary Protection Program (VPP) and recertification
- Support customer audits, EHS audits and non-EHS audits requiring EHS participation
- May be required to perform other related duties as required and/or assigned.
Site responsibilities include, but not limited to:
- Provide technical and regulatory EHS guidance for programs including hazardous waste, wastewater management, air emissions, hazard communication, biosafety, injury and illness prevention, chemical hygiene, industrial hygiene, lab safety, emergency preparedness, facilities/contractor safety, and pollution prevention
- Develop, implement, deliver, and track effective training programs
- Effectively communicate EHS information to large and small groups including site leaders and employees
- Assist with job hazard analysis assessments and new equipment and/or process safety reviews. Monitor closure of action items.
- Assist with the site emergency response
- Provide effective Incident Response and follow up and seek assistance from EHS Manager as needed
- Oversee and conduct Incident Investigation and Root Cause Analysis.
- Ensure injury and illness cases are effectively managed to closure and preventive measures are identified, communicated, and implemented.
- Participate in EHS inspection program and track corrective action items to completion
- Support annual environmental permit submissions, assist with preparation of regulatory reports (e.g., wastewater, hazardous materials business plans, air district reports etc.).
- Participate in EHS audits as appropriate
How will you get here?
Requires a minimum of Bachelors degree
3+ years of experience in an environmental, health, safety, and sustainability related discipline and technical/practical knowledge of EHS+S regulations, codes, and guidelines
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities
- Demonstrated ability to recognize, evaluate, and recommend controls for workplace hazards
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills required, including the ability to interact with outside regulatory agencies
- Demonstrated proficiency with computer applications, including word processing, spreadsheet, and slide presentations required. Should be able to lift or move up to 25 pounds
- Technical and practical knowledge of biotechnology, research and development and/or manufacturing is highly recommended, or a willingness to quickly become proficient is required
- Knowledge of chemistry is a plus. Must be willing to be 24 Hour HAZWOPER train or already have this certification
At Thermo Fisher Scientific, each one of our 65,000 extraordinary minds has a unique story to tell. Join us and contribute to our singular mission—enabling our customers to make the world healthier, cleaner and safer.
Apply today! http://jobs.thermofisher.com
Join our Talent Community
If you're ready to make a difference in the world, you can do it here.Join