Job Title: System Administrator II
Job Location: Bangalore, India
At Thermo Fisher Scientific, each one of our 50,000 extraordinary minds has a unique story to tell. Join us and contribute to our singular mission—enabling our customers to make the world healthier, cleaner and safer. Apply today http://jobs.thermofisher.com
- As a key member of the IT Operations Center (ITOC), this candidate will also be asked to participate in some of the operations work that our team does to support the production environment in other technology areas. Those duties include, but are not limited to, batch processing within the Mainframe, AS400 and Server / Distributed environments, Storage and Backup management for our legacy on-premises systems and initial triage and reaction for our enterprise network. The incumbent will follow up and resolve outstanding alerting messages pertaining to all systems monitored within the environment. The qualified individual will perform in depth triage of incidents and react appropriately.
- The ITOC team is responsible for fielding business critical phone calls and taking the appropriate actions which will include opening and monitoring technical and Major Incident bridges. Highly visible written communications (via email) are required, as is the ability to understand and describe the issue occurring. As a 24x7x365 Operations group supporting worldwide functions, we are always looking for new opportunities to broaden scope and add value driven services for our customers and service partners. This welcomes new work functions which provide critical services for our customers and service partners and creates opportunities to learn additional skillsets and competencies for career growth.
- The ideal candidate, as a senior Administrator, would also have an ability to direct the shift work in the absence of the Lead Administrator. Preferably, candidates are to be a thought leader in the area of event correlation and issue resolution. This includes, but is not limited to, consulting multiple data repositories such as the IT Change Management system and various monitoring consoles to thoroughly research events and determine the appropriate course of action. ITOC staff initiates and manages numerous projects in support of capturing and communicating critical business and IT information. We partner with application and Infrastructure teams to support thorough and accurate alert criteria and remediation activities are developed and maintained to protect the overall health of the IT environment.
- 2+ years of technical work experience
- Bachelor’s degree in information technology or related field
- Equivalent combination of experience and education will be considered
- Demonstrated familiarity and expertise in the day to day administration, maintenance and support of Linux/Unix server infrastructure.
- Prior experience in an IT Operations support role (Command Center Operations, Server Operations, Network Operations Center, Service Desk, etc.) performing hands-on IT Infrastructure & Application troubleshooting.
- Willingness and ability to work any shift assigned including weekend days and holidays as part of a standard schedule is a must.
- Willingness and ability to work overtime / alternate shifts as needed and possibly with short notice.
- Must be reliable and dependable; flexible to changing shifts to ensure proper staff coverage during planned / unplanned absences or special business processing times such as Quarter End / Year End.
- Willingness and ability to learn new technologies in support of the job is a must.
- Ability to handle multiple simultaneous tasks in dynamic and high pressure situations, prioritize them accordingly and react quickly to issues is essential and a must to be successful within this role.
- Ability to follow implicit instructions when needed but also use experience/working knowledge to "think outside the box" when solving issues. Needs to understand deviances from the norm and resolve using prior experiences and resources available. Being able to “see the big picture” is paramount.
- Solid initiative and follow-through; ability to work with minimal intervention or follow-up and see tasks through to completion without continual follow-up.
- Solid verbal and written communication skills and the ability to interact professionally with a diverse group, executives, managers, service partners and subject matter experts.
- Good teamwork & collaboration skills. Ability to influence and lead others on occasion.
- Initiative to continually identify opportunities for improvement or add additional business value. Ability to work with others to drive those ideas to implementation / completion.
- Must be able to perform regular shift walk-throughs of the Data Center.
- Must be able to walk, sit and/or stand for extended periods of time as needed.
- Must be able to perform regular lifting or moving of equipment/items as needed; generally not to exceed 50 lbs.
- Ability to travel to other sites if needed (this is expected to be a very low percentage of time if at all).
- Knowledge and use of CA-7 / CA-11 products.
- Mainframe experience.
- Windows server experience.
- Linux/Unix experience
- Cloud experience.
- Familiarization of ITIL processes (Event, Incident, Change, Problem, etc.).
- Experience using ServiceNow or other incident ticket tracking system.
- Experience using major telecommunications vendor’s ticketing system
- Experience using Orion SolarWinds, HPOV/BSM, or other Event Management/Monitoring tools.
- Reasonable typing speed (50+ wpm).
Thermo Fisher Scientific is an EEO/Affirmative Action Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, disability or any other legally protected status.
Join our Talent Community
If you're ready to make a difference in the world, you can do it here.Join