The Director, Strategic Relationships will report to the VP & GM of Microarrays, serving as a key leader in the development of revenue-generating strategic relationships for the Microarray business unit. Additionally, this individual will be part of the Microarray Leadership Team, providing essential tactical and strategic insights related to the new product pipeline, capabilities development and strategic direction. The role exists in a matrixed environment and will work closely with the Company’s commercial channels to identify and execute upon new strategic relationships to expand utilization of the Company’s microarray platform technology across application areas including genotyping and gene expression for industries such as blood banking, direct to consumer genomics and pharmacogenomics. This position will collaborate with R&D, marketing, sales and senior leadership to develop and execute plans to successfully identify and expand upon strategic end user relationship opportunities in current and new market segments.
- Highly interactive with commercial channels.
- Experienced with deal architecture and closing revenue-based strategic relationships including customization of solutions for end users.
- Understands industry dynamics, the competitive landscape and identification of opportunities for expansion in key growth markets and regions.
- Plays a significant voice in determining business development strategy.
- Lead discussions around “where to play” and “how to win” by understanding the market opportunities and customer expectations.
- Close to technical, product and people aspects and is able to bring in cross-functional groups as required (e.g., product marketing and bioinformatics).
- Collaborative in nature, externally and internally, to build passion and ensure execution.
- Strong ability to identify broad unmet market needs, identify value propositions and select prospective accounts for development, providing incremental value-add to commercial sales processes.
- Key linkage representing the overall business capabilities to customers and commercial channels.
- Able to interact with the most senior level clients and internal management.
Revenue Ownership and Accountability
- Drives pipeline of revenue-producing relationships focused on new accounts and applications.
- Delivers results consistent with expanding leadership in a growth market.
- Possess the capability and is able to build the credibility to make tough decisions related to deal negotiations and economics.
- Works globally; knows and understands the diversity of the world having served in pieces of it.
- Knows what it takes to attack global unmet needs due to a strong connectivity to the market.
- Bachelor’s degree required preferably in business, economics or related field.
- Experienced in life sciences innovations, including genetic analysis and genomics, with microarray expertise a strong plus.
- Demonstrated success working in a global matrixed-environment.
- Strong customer/quality orientation with demonstrated ability to effectively build and manage customer and partner relationships at very senior levels.
- Ability to form teams and interact effectively with R&D, bioinformatics, software, marketing, legal, finance and sales.
- Strong business acumen with demonstrated ability to understand, analyze and assimilate complex issues, draw correct conclusions, prioritize and formulate clear strategy and initiatives.
- Strong negotiation skills and an understanding of deal economics and structure.
- Capacity to influence and promote enthusiasm and support through verbal, written and presentation communications skills.
- Willingness to travel extensively including to domestic and international markts.
- Demonstrates and drives the Thermo Fisher values – Integrity, Intensity, Involvement and Innovation (The Four I’s)