When you join us at Thermo Fisher Scientific, you’ll be part of a smart, driven team that shares your passion for exploration and discovery. With revenues of $20 billion and the largest investment in R&D in the industry, we give our people the resources and opportunities to make significant contributions to the world.
How will you make an impact?
The Packaging Engineer will develop packaging designs for new and existing products from initial idea, approved
concept and implementation into manufacturing for Thermo Fisher Scientific.This includes developing concepts,
material selection, sample evaluation, structural engineering analysis, package transportation testing, creating
packaging engineering standards, design verification reports and process validation reports.
The packaging engineer will collaborate with design engineers, process engineers, quality engineers and project leaders to develop packaging systems for sterile and non-sterile consumable plastic products for life science, medical device, laboratory, packaging, diagnostic and consumer product markets.
This is an exciting opportunity to work in a collaborative new product development environment that develops a wide variety of plastic lab ware products from concept to launch using an engineering focused process. Challenging opportunity for a talented engineer to drive innovation, implement new technologies and develop best engineering practices in a growing organization.
What will you do?
- Cross Functional Project Team Member: Participate on cross functional project teams to develop product and packaging design traceability matrix, complete packaging design verification activities and present results at technical design reviews. Communicate effectively within team, to marketing and engineering management on packaging design progress.
- New Package Design: Collaborate with internal customers, project teams and external suppliers from brainstorming new innovative concepts for packaging component design through technical feasibility and cost assessments using best design practices and packaging industry design standards. Translates VOC feedback into user needs and design inputs. Completes engineering analysis of designs.
- Packaging Standards: Develops and uses engineering design guides and standards for common design elements. Applies packaging appropriate Design for Manufacturing (DFM) and sustainability guidelines.
- Equipment Selection: Specify and select a range of standard packaging equipment. Prepare capital requests. Obtain quotes from suppliers.
- Verification and Validation Testing: Conduct FAT, IQ, OQ, PQ qualifications of new equipment. Coordinate packaging ship tests per industrial standards and document results with detailed technical reports.
How will you get here?
- BS in Packaging Engineering (design option), Mechanical Engineering or related engineering degree with relevant packaging design experience.
- Minimum 8 years experience in package design and development
- Experience in a structured product development process, design requirements, design and change control processes
- Strong proficiency with packaging industry design and test standards (ISTA, ASTM, etc)
- Experience in regulated industry with a knowledge of sterile barrier packaging and sterilization processes
- Experience with medical device packaging materials and test methods is a plus
- Experience with leading packaging equipment process qualifications (IQ,OQ,PQ)
- Proficiency with planning complex project activities spanning 9 – 12 months
- Experience with structural engineering analysis of new packaging designs
- Strong proficiency with MS Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint)
- Solidworks (CAD), CAPE (pallet layout) and SAP (ERP) experience is a plus
- Container leak testing experience is a plus
- Willing to travel domestically and internationally (10%)
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities
- Creative, innovative and critical thinking
- Analytical nature, responds positively to challenges and a problem solver
- Responsive, self-directed and well-organized with ability to manage multiple projects
- Seeks out collaboration opportunities
- Strong documentation, planning and organizational skills
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills with ability to influence across levels of organization
At Thermo Fisher Scientific, each one of our 65,000 extraordinary minds has a unique story to tell. Join us and contribute to our singular mission—enabling our customers to make the world healthier, cleaner and safer.
Join our Talent Community
If you're ready to make a difference in the world, you can do it here.Join