The Application Software Group (ASG)
As part of the R&D organization of Thermo Fisher Scientific's MSD division, ASG is committed to bring value-adding and game changing software solutions to our customers that help them with their success. ASG is a multi-site development organization divided over the R&D sites in Eindhoven (the Netherlands), Bordeaux (France), Hillsboro (US), Brno (Czech). The ASG organization in Eindhoven consists of around 50 software engineers. This team is responsible for the development of automation/application software for Transmission Electron Microscopes (TEM). This software offers solutions to our life sciences, material sciences and semiconductors customers, by providing dedicated workflows and solutions. Examples are automated tomography or single particle acquisition and our dedicated semiconductors solution for e.g. automated metrology/measurements on the nanometer scale.
Our single particle acquisition application (EPU) is completely focused on solutions for the life sciences market, where a new era for electron microscopy is started (see http://www.nature.com/nmeth/focus/moy2015/index.html).
- corporate organization https://www.fei.com/about-fei/
- Life Sciences business https://www.fei.com/life-sciences/
- Inside the Titan Transmission Electron Microscope https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2wEmsDh_l_A
- Blog ASG Designer Eindhoven http://www.brainporttalentbox.com/blogs/3/iwdy98-building-software-related-applications-for-electron-microscopes-
- Blog software architect Eindhoven https://www.brainporttalentbox.com/blogs/3/gl6zc7-achieve-breakthroughs-by-electron-microscopes-
- MDE helps structuring 3 millions of lines of legacy code. https://www.brainporttalentbox.com/blogs/3/eibz8u-mde-helps-structuring-3-million-lines-of-legacy-code-
We have a position for a talented software engineer/scrum master in the EPU application software team in Eindhoven (part of ASG) with growth opportunities towards team lead. The scrum master will be part of an enthusiastic team (~16) and responsible for one of the scrum teams. The team will have the full vertical integration of acquisition devices as main focus area. Our EPU application is C# based, but lower level integration is done in C++.
Your assignment will be a mixture of the following activities:
- Leading the scrum team, making sure our agile process is correctly followed
- Reporting towards PL/software manager (e.g. progress and risks)
- Maintaining a prioritized backlog by aligning with our product manager (PO) on requirements, scope and priority
- Hands-on software development (>60%) and integration of software components.
- Writing user stories and detailing out user stories into smaller, concrete tasks
- Create designs based on a full comprehension of the requirements, purpose and application of the product
- Responsible for improvements within agreed focus-areas (monitored with KPI trends)
- Troubleshooting and debugging of application issues in a simulation environment as well as on the TEM microscope systems available within R&D.
- Focus on quality by contributing to our technical debt management and by using and extending our existing test framework and automated nightly tests.
The ideal candidate for this position enjoys working in a multi-disciplinary and multi-cultural, technical environment to solve complex technical (software) challenges. If you enjoy the development of software solutions on top of high-performance systems, this is an excellent opportunity. The successful candidate will possess the following combination of education and experience:
- Typically requires, BSc or MSc degree in Computer Science, Informatics, or related technical discipline.
- Up-to-date knowledge and proven hands-on experience of C#/.NET (including concepts, best practices, WPF experience). Decent knowledge on C++
- At least 5 years’ experience in object oriented development of complex software systems
- Must demonstrate clear ability to develop application software automating complex, high-performance systems
- Eager to learn TEM domain specific knowledge and not afraid to test your software on a TEM systems yourself
- Experienced with the Agile/Scrum development process
- Focus on quality, but also able to be a pragmatic issue solver where needed
- Experience in multi-cultural environments
- Future personal development ambitions towards team lead role.
Further preference given for hands on experience with one or more of the following areas:
- Affinity with hardware integration, in particular acquisition devices like cameras
- Experience with (ATL) COM, and C# interoperability
- TDD and writing high quality software using unit tests
- A team player with good communicational skills (both written and verbal) and highly proficient in spoken and written English
- Analytical view combined with pragmatic attitude (flexibility)
- Value oriented, getting to the essence, setting and acting according to priorities
- Result oriented
- Proactive and initiative-taking attitude
- Curious, fast learning (mostly on the job)