As the world’s leader in serving science, Thermo Fisher Scientific is a driving force in the research, healthcare, industrial and applied markets, generating more than $18B in annual revenue. No other company can match our range of customer touch points – technologically, geographically or commercially. We help our customers in finding cures for cancer, protecting the environment, making sure our food is safe and moving forward with thousands of important projects that improve millions of lives.
The Microbiology Division (MBD) develops, manufactures, supplies and supports solutions for the clinical diagnosis of infectious disease and the detection of bacterial contamination in the food and pharmaceutical industries. We serve public health and clinical laboratories, food companies and pharmaceutical laboratories with high quality products which include culture media, antimicrobial susceptibility testing and market-leading food safety molecular solutions. Our 2,000+ dedicated employees are focused on providing our customers with consistently exceptional service. Headquartered in Basingstoke, England with over 20 sites worldwide.
The Sr. Quality Engineer will lead in the implementation of quality assurances practices, process controls, change control and Corrective and Preventive Action activities. This position is embedded in the Operations Work Stream. The Sr. Quality Engineer will partner with Operations and is the primary point of contact for all Quality decisions affecting daily activities.
The Sr. Quality Engineer will approve investigations, deviations, change controls, validation protocols, validation reports, Operations SOP’s, and in-process controls. In addition they will evaluate and recommend process changes to improve the Value Stream performance and regulatory compliance.
The Sr. Quality Engineer is responsible for managing, and further developing Validation personnel and for organizing their work to be in alignment (or support) of the site Quality goals. The individual selected for this role will act as an effective leader in promoting quality disciplines, decisions and practices and will apply sound, systematic, problem-solving methodologies in identifying, prioritizing, communicating and resolving quality issues.
- Provide Quality review and approval of all investigations, deviations, change controls, validation protocols, validation reports, SOP’s, and in-process controls in support of the assigned Value Stream.
- Enable collaborative relationships between Operations and Quality with the overall focus of improving customer satisfaction.
- Troubleshoot process issues. Lead inter-department teams in the resolution of process issues and quality problems.
- Work as a member of new product introduction teams to provide quality input and capability analysis.
- Work closely with Operations, R & D, Purchasing and Engineering to improve quality while reducing material scrap and costs.
- Champion continuous improvement and the transition to a Lean Manufacturing Environment.
- Drive quality management focus on productivity improvements throughout the business unit.
- Work effectively as a member of cross-functional teams.
- Partner with Operations leadership to establish controls and inspection points to facilitate detection, correction, and prevention of nonconforming materials, parts, assemblies, and products.
- Drive Customer complaints to resolution; Serve as Quality Representative for all quality-related corrective/preventive actions within the Value Stream.
- Assure that quality standards comply with division and departmental policies, national and international codes, and applicable safety requirements.
- Leads PPI activities at the site including the facilitation of Kaizen events. Supports Operations and Quality team members on process improvement activities.
- Analyze trends and collaborates with manufacturing to investigate trends, conduct root cause analysis and lead corrective actions for processes and products.
- Manage Validation personnel reporting to the position to effectively develop, recruit, train, evaluate, motivate, delegate and monitor their work as it relates to the assigned value stream and Quality goals.
- Bachelor’s Degree in a science, engineering or related field
- 5 years of experience in a regulated environment such as medical device, pharmaceutical, biotechnology or clinical
- Bachelors of Science Degree in Biology or Microbiology
- 6 or more years of experience in a regulated environment such as medical device, pharmaceutical, biotechnology or clinical
- Strong working knowledge of quality related tools, such as structured problem solving, FMEA (Failure Mode and Effects Analysis), SPC (Statistical Process Control), DOE (Design of Experiments) and Six Sigma
- Previous Supervision or Management experience
- Strong background in process control and statistical techniques
- ASQ certification
- Medical device, GMP, EU Regulation or ISO 13485 background
- Demonstrated working knowledge of compliance, quality and scientific principles
- Must be a self-starter who can take general concepts and direction and produce desirable results
- Ability to prioritize multiple tasks function effectively in a global, multi-site organization
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively as a member of a cross-functional team
- Strong working knowledge of various computer software, such as Mini-tab
- Experience with lean manufacturing practices. Green Belt or Black Belt certification a plus
- Knowledge of qualification / validation (process, sterilization, software) requirements
- Perform independently without continual direction and exercise considerable latitude in determining technical objectives and solutions to complex problems.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Strong leadership skills with the ability to challenge, influence, and build consensus.
- Ability to work both independently and as a team member.
- Strong business acumen.
At Thermo Fisher Scientific, each one of our 65,000 extraordinary minds has a unique story to tell. Join us and contribute to our singular mission—enabling our customers to make the world healthier, cleaner and safer.
Join our Talent Community
If you're ready to make a difference in the world, you can do it here.Join