About Thermo Fisher Scientific
Thermo Fisher Scientific Inc. (NYSE: TMO) is the world leader in serving science, with revenues of more than $20 billion and approximately 65,000 employees globally. Our mission is to enable our customers to make the world healthier, cleaner and safer. We help our customers accelerate life sciences research, solve complex analytical challenges, improve patient diagnostics, deliver medicines to market and increase laboratory productivity. Through our premier brands – Thermo Scientific, Applied Biosystems, Invitrogen, Fisher Scientific and Unity Lab Services – we offer an unmatched combination of innovative technologies, purchasing convenience and comprehensive services.
Senior Technical Writer
The SeniorTechnical Writer /Animations Specialist will join the LS/MS group to deliver technical manuals and technical illustrations for hardware manuals, interactive documents, and training materials that adhere to company graphical publication standards and style guides. You will be responsible for producing high-quality technical documentation in collaboration with the cross-functional teams. You will also participate in setting up team processes and contribute towards creating technical writing strategy on a high level.
Essential duties and responsibilities include the following:
- Conduct research and source relevant technical content by working in laboratory and manufacturing floor environments.
- Create video walk-throughs and tutorials for user documentation and the online help.
- Design, develop, and create 2D and 3D graphics and technical illustrations for technical manuals, interactive documents, and training materials that adhere to company graphical publication standards and style guides.
- Deliver Online Help, Release Notes, tutorials, videos and animations for multiple products.
- Develop topic-based, structured, single-source documentation using XML authoring.
- Validate, test, review, and edit new and existing customer documentation for quality.
- Actively participate in daily Scrum stand-up meetings, weekly planning, and review meetings.
- Need to adapt quickly to new scenarios that require specific skill sets and have high levels of ambiguity.
- Track and manage Thermo Fisher project efforts using issue tracking software such as JIRA or Rally.
- Participate in active learning and knowledge sharing sessions with peers in the Technical Publications department.
- Work with Subject Matter Experts (SMEs) and field support to identify the most effective product tasks and illustration solutions that are highly accurate and complete.
- Use multiple illustration and graphic design software tools to create and deliver technical illustrations and graphics.
- Work collaboratively and effectively with others to promote innovative approaches and enhancements.
- Learns complex technologies and tools rapidly to "hit the ground running" in the development of technical material.
- Acquires the latest industry best practices and apply those to the workplace.
Qualifications and Education Requirements
- Bachelor's Degree in Electrical Engineering/Lifesciences.
- Familiarity with DITA, HTML, CSS, XML, or markup.
- Experience with screen-capture software and video production, e.g. Camtasia, GoAnimate, Final Cut Pro.
- Experience with SolidWorks, AutoCAD, SolidDesigner, and SoftImage and similar products for illustration creation.
- Experience with Adobe Illustrator, Photoshop, Acrobat, and Microsoft Office Suite.
- Highly organized and able to thrive in a deadline-oriented environment; a passionate learner and self-starter, comfortable owning projects and must have a ‘user-focused’ mindset in a rapidly changing environment.
- Ability to work with minimal supervision in a fast-paced, high-tech environment.
- Excellent verbal, written and interpersonal communication skills; ability to work cross-functionally with a global team to execute multiple project schedules.
- Candidates will be expected to provide a portfolio of their technical writing/instructional design work.
- Possesses excellent collaboration skills, and leverages Thermo Fisher's relationships across the business to drive outcomes.
- Able to think on a strategic level about the technical writing function and its role in Thermo Fisher’s overall business strategy.
- Demonstrates clarity of thinking to work through limited information and vague problem definition.
This position is eligible for relocation assistance.
Join our Talent Community
If you're ready to make a difference in the world, you can do it here.Join