At Fisher BioServices, we specialize in the management of critical biological materials in support for the advancement of cell therapy, high value biologics, and population-based public health research. We provide customized end-to-end chain of custody solutions for our large pharmaceutical clients and partners in academia and government, ensuring the integrity and efficacy of their valued material from the manufacturer to the bedside. Fisher BioServices is a brand of Thermo Fisher Scientific, the world leader in serving science, and member of the BioPharma Services Division. To learn more please visit www.fisherbioservices.com .
This position is within the Fisher BioServices business unit of Thermo Fisher Scientific. The Driver 2 position in Commercial Operations is responsible for relocating specimen and equipment for customers of biological specimens, samples, clinical agents, and materials from multiple commercial and government clients. These materials are stored at temperatures ranging from ambient (room temperature) to below freezing with potentially hazardous properties. This position works independently or with another driver based on the relocation destination and uses standard precautionary procedures to work independently, be self-directed, communicate effectively, and use good judgment when making decisions. Internal or external client interaction occurs under the guidance of experienced professional or technical staff. This position works varied hours, as well as overtime as needed.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
Must be able to perform Driver 1 duties:
- Obtains assignments, prepares paperwork, and inspects equipment prior to departure
- Maintains driver logs as well as all Federal Motor Carrier Regulations.
- Safely transports biological materials maintaining the required temperature.
- Maintains the cleanliness of the company vehicle as well as reporting any needed maintenance.
- Reports any accidents while using company equipment.
- Maintains confidentiality of company or personal information of others.
- Thorough and accurate completion of assignments.
- Works around hazardous substances and follows all safety guidelines to minimize exposure.
- Adheres to all company and manufacturer safety guidelines at all times.
- Operates commercial motor vehicles in urban, suburban, and rural areas in all weather conditions.
- Transports equipment and specimen without causing damage to any product.
- Receives, handles and inventories specimens of human, animal, and/or plant origin at temperatures ranging from ambient to -196°C, and having potentially hazardous properties.
- Assures compliance to cGMP parts 210 and 211 and company quality systems.
- Follows standard operating procedures (SOPs), facility safety guidelines, and Food & Drug Administration (FDA) requirements which may include compliance with cGMP CFR parts 210 and 211 where applicable.
- Maintains a professional manner when problems/conflicts arise.
- Builds good working relationships with others.
- May be required to travel to other facilities to meet business needs.
Driver 2 must apply skills to perform the following duties:
- Participates in process improvement activities.
- Confidently makes appropriate decisions to serve customers.
- Understands customers' concerns and critical problems, and demonstrates that solving their problems is a top priority.
- Meets commitments and ensures that deliverables are completed on time.
- Obtains assignments and prepares paperwork, and inspects equipment prior to departing from the facility.
- Comfortable cross-training and helping another team member accomplish a task.
- Other duties may be assigned to meet business needs.
Basic Minimum Qualifications: The qualifications listed below are representative of knowledge, skill and/or ability. To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to complete each essential duty.
- Requires ability to communicate effectively verbally and in written form.
- Requires ability to prepare reports using Microsoft Excel.
- Requires proficiency of Windows and Microsoft Word and possibly Microsoft Access.
- Requires ability to read and interpret general procedures and governmental regulations.
- Requires ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from clients, customers, and the general public.
- Requires High School Diploma
- Requires 2+ years driving experience in a similar role.
- Requires valid Commercial driver’s license Class B (CDL B) and a good driving record.
- Requires knowledge of Universal Precautions, general laboratory and quality assurance/control.
- Requires experience with routine vehicle maintenance.
Certificates and/ or Licenses:
- Hazmat Endorsement
- Blood Borne Pathogens Training.
None; assists in training peers.
8AM to 5PM core hours with additional hours as required. May be required to work non-traditional work week/hours.
Mon-Fri or Tues-Sat
Work Conditions/Physical Requirements:
- Requires ability to work in a cold environment with exposure to dry ice, liquid nitrogen cryogenics, hazardous and infectious agents, marked changes in temperature.
- May push/pull 600 lb liquid nitrogen dewars, and work from a platform ladder.
- Must use personal protective equipment and adhere to safety protocols.
- Must be able to lift and carry up to 50 lbs, and push up to 100 lbs.
- Must be able to process and handle materials frozen on dry ice (-78°C) or liquid nitrogen (-196°C) for up to 6 hours per day.
- Must be able to work in walk-in freezers or refrigerators periodically.
- Must be able to use a computer up to 6 hours per day.
Must be able to drive automotive equipment, and load and unload equipment into and out of company
Join our Talent Community
If you're ready to make a difference in the world, you can do it here.Join