Job title: Senior Director of Marketing, Academia - Materials & Structural Analysis Division
Location: Europe flexible (with a proximity to an international airport)
Analytical Instruments Group - Materials & Structural Analysis Division
Our Thermo Scientific brand in the analytical instruments group offers customers in research, academic, industrial and applied markets a complete range of high-end analytical instruments as well as laboratory equipment, software and services. In the materials and structural analysis division we design, manufacture, and support the broadest range of high-performance microscopy workflows that provide images and answers in the micro-, nano-, and picometer scales. Combining hardware and software expertise in electron, ion, FTIR, NIR, NMR UV/VIS and light microscopy with deep application knowledge in the materials science, life sciences, electronics, and natural resources markets. Our laboratory elemental analyzers use x-ray fluoresce (XRD), x-ray diffraction (XRD), and arc spark optical emission (EOS) techniques for precise analysis of bulk materials in the metals, cement, minerals and petrochemicals industries. Our material characterization instruments include rheometers and extruders that measure viscosity, elasticity, process ability and temperature related material changes of various materials. We also provide a range of elemental analysis instruments used in product development. Our worldwide team of 4,600 employees is dedicated to customers’ pursuit accelerating innovation and driving productivity.
This position is responsible for developing and executing both short term annual operating plan commitments and long term profitable segment growth for Academia within the life sciences business unit. Utilize the STRAP process to build strategic portfolio options for a 5 year horizon. Determine actual and future technical market requirements, evaluate and observe the competitive environment and develop strategies to continuously improve Thermo Fisher’s position in the addressed segments while penetrating into new adjacent segments in order to expand the customer base. Establish these new market opportunities including structural biology (“Tier 2”), cell biology (cryo tomography), and tissue and systems biology (3D Volume-Imaging).
Management responsibility of Regional Marketing Directors (2) and Regional Market Managers (3) leveraging and developing the team to meet AOP targets
- Product Portfolio Management: Oversee the complete product portfolio and ensure a winning portfolio mix while minimizing costs. Oversee the work of the Segment Directors.
- Overarching Strategy: Develop and present the overarching strategy for the segment. Screen application and technology opportunities to identify new market opportunities or potentially disrupting trends.
- Product and business development – Assess needs of customers and markets, develop business plans to create solutions that will gain market share. Monitor business performance (incl. bookings, margin, market position), identify issues and drive improvement actions.
- Market Management – Determine which segments of the market to focus on. Develop positioning and supporting material to market complete solutions of targeted products.
- Collect Voice of the Customer (VoC) and Market Trends - Identify, document and communicate why customers buy and how they use our products to R&D and Sales. Provide feedback on new features needed in a market to the product lines. Identify, document and communicate market trends.
- Strategic Planning – Develop Marketing Strategy for (new) products and implement Marketing Plans, in the context of our Product Management Process (PMP).
- Marketing (Launch) Plan Execution – Complete regular reviews of objectives versus plan to deliver quarterly and long term business objectives. Review key metrics to ensure achievement of the marketing plan and on time product launches.
- Innovation/New Product Introduction– Create the value proposition for innovation/new product introductions and validate with key customers. Delivering solutions roadmap. Create material and deliver training for Sales team. Responsible for execution of Innovation/New Product Introduction plan and targets.
- Sales Support – Maintain relationships with key customers and works to develop them into reference customers to help sales in a region or globally. Supporting new product sales promotions in the field with direct customer interaction, commercial and technical presentations and collateral.
- Manage relationships with internal stakeholders, lead cross-functional teams, works closely with R&D and Sales team to ensure that the company develops the appropriate solutions and services delivering exceptional customer value while achieving the financial objectives for the product.
- Continuous Improvement: monitor and continuously improve efficiency and effectiveness of strategy execution by implementing powerful business processes (PPI
- 10 years of Marketing and/or Business Strategy experience; 7+ years of experience in Strategy in high growth businesses/industries
- Bachelor’s degree in business or related discipline required; advanced technical degree or MBA or PhD highly preferred
- Experience working for a global, highly-matrixed company in a scientific, life sciences, or similar industry
- Demonstrated ability to build strong relationships with key business partners and customers to impact growth
- Excellent strategy, planning and execution with a strong results-oriented approach
- The ability to create a vision of a product, translate it into strategy and value-driven roadmap
- Highly developed commercial sensibility; ability to recognize growth opportunities and execute on them.
- Highly effective leadership, adept at team-building and experienced in change management
- Excellent presentation and communication skills
- Experience and demonstrated aptitude both managing and prioritizing multiple projects and initiatives
- Willingness to travel up to 60%, both domestic and internationally, as required
- Experience in interacting with highly technical customers and customer groups
Thermo Fisher Scientific is an EEO/Affirmative Action Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, disability or any other legally protected status.