Position: Director Operations Life Science
Reporting To: Vice President & General Manager BU Life Science, Materials & Structural Analysis
Location: Eindhoven Netherlands / BRNO Czech Republic
Thermo Fisher Scientific Inc. (NYSE: TMO) is the world leader in serving science, with revenues of $22B and 65,000 employees in 50 countries. Our mission is to enable our customers to make the world healthier, cleaner and safer. We help our customers accelerate life sciences research, solve complex analytical challenges, improve patient diagnostics and increase laboratory productivity. Through our premier brands – Thermo Scientific, Applied Biosystems, Invitrogen, Fisher Scientific and Unity Lab Services – we offer an unmatched combination of innovative technologies, purchasing convenience and comprehensive support.
Analytical Instruments Group - Materials & Structural Analysis Division
Our Thermo Scientific brand in the analytical instruments group offers customers in research, academic, industrial and applied markets a complete range of high-end analytical instruments as well as laboratory equipment, software and services. In the materials and structural analysis division we design, manufacture, and support the broadest range of high-performance microscopy workflows that provide images and answers in the micro-, nano-, and picometer scales. Combining hardware and software expertise in electron, ion, FTIR, NIR, NMR UV/VIS and light microscopy with deep application knowledge in the materials science, life sciences, electronics, and natural resources markets. Our laboratory elemental analyzers use x-ray fluoresce (XRD), x-ray diffraction (XRD), and arc spark optical emission (EOS) techniques for precise analysis of bulk materials in the metals, cement, minerals and petrochemicals industries. Our material characterization instruments include rheometers and extruders that measure viscosity, elasticity, process ability and temperature related material changes of various materials. We also provide a range of elemental analysis instruments used in product development. Our worldwide team of 4,600 employees is dedicated to customers’ pursuit accelerating innovation and driving productivity.
The Director Business Operations monitors target COGS for all Life Sciences products at the different factory sites, tracks product quality and monitors/drives CAS of the Life Science BU.
He controls field service efficiency and service effectiveness for selected dedicated LS products (Krios, Arctica, Glacios, Aquilos) e.g. MTBF, MTTF, total install time, system availability, system productivity
He/She supports the global MSD Head of Sourcing in negotiating critical supplier agreements for the BU (e.g. Gatan). The head of Business Operations assumes the responsibility to manage support functions that serve the entire BU organization, e.g. market intelligence and Marketing Coordination.
The Head of Business Operations will be part of the BU leadership team (MT team) and be involved in the annual BU strategy development. As he member of the BU management Team, he will support the GM in developing the annual operating plan AOP and managing the Business processes. The Director Business Operations will report into the GM & VP for the BU Life Science and will have 2 direct reports.
- Managing the Business Processes & Reviews and the Operating Rhythm for the BU LS
Leadership of Practical Process Improvement (PPI) within the BU Life Science
- Coordinate between BU, SSD & Ops to ensure efficient execution of cross functional Life Science initiatives, (NPI) projects and ensure efficient cross functional processes, structures and systems are in place to realize Life Science business growth.
- Responsible for aligning forecast between marketing and SSD / Ops
- Own leadership through example, champion successful cross functional and cross divisional communication, collaboration and cooperation in achievement of desired business results.
- Ensures Service coordination (CAS, escalations, CSMs & Field Apps)
This position is ideal for an experienced and proven global business leader, able to inspire and motivate a dynamic team in order to support the accelerated growth of the Business Unit Life Science . The successful candidate will possess the following combination of education and experience:
Education and experience requirements;
University degree or equivalent; enhanced with degrees in business administration (MBA), Marketing or Nano- technology.
- Successful track record of taking innovative new products to market, achieving measurable market share, customer satisfaction, competitive advantage and revenue growth.
- Demonstrated ability to understand technology / research businesses. Prefer knowledge of Nano-technology.
- Demonstrated experience in a large, multinational, heavily matrixed organization
- Excellent judgment and creative problem solving skills including negotiation and conflict resolution skills in large matrix organizations
- Ability to foster the integration of cross-functional teams to achieve business goals, leading by inclusive management style, open communications and solution-based problem solving.
- Proven leadership ability to manage a large organization to meet commitments and insist on accountability while maintaining constructive relationships.
- Ability to influence and engage business partners, peers , direct/indirect reports; Have ability to effectively interface with senior management
At Thermo Fisher Scientific, each one of our 65,000 extraordinary minds has a unique story to tell. Join us and contribute to our singular mission—enabling our customers to make the world healthier, cleaner and safer.