At Thermo Fisher Scientific, our mission is to make the world healthier, cleaner and safer. In order to accomplish this mission, our company is transforming our existing software offering to better support science. The emerging technologies team is tasked with applying industry best practices to the design, development, and deployment of world-class software products. We are looking to hire a software development manager with deep experience in agile software development who can help us solve the next wave of technical challenges using the latest cloud-based, IoT, big-data, and rich analytics tool sets.
We are searching for a Manager of Software Development who is well versed and comfortable spanning the full development lifecycle, from requirements identification and prototyping, through design and implementation, to customer acceptance and delivery. You have experience and passion to create market leading scientific software solutions. You are the type of person that welcomes the challenge of working in a fast-paced, discovery-oriented environment and will be genuinely excited about the prospect of creatively exercising your problem solving skills on a continuous basis with an eye to ultimately improving the human condition.
- Responsible for the definition, coordination and completion of software development projects within the R&D software services department using agile software development methodologies.
- Responsible for staff management: recruiting, hiring, on-boarding, training, project assignment, and performance management of the software teams
- Builds and maintains working relationships with product management, executives, device R&D teams, and software team members to define the scope, timeline, and resources required for projects.
- Works with functional managers to form Scrum teams to execute software projects and helps them to succeed by making sure they have clear requirements and proper support.
- Ensures that Scrum teams are receiving adequate staffing and support to carry out their activities
- Participates in cross-functional project core teams and relays status to team members and upper management regarding the status of software projects.
- A wide degree of creativity and latitude is expected along with a reliance on extensive experiences in life sciences and software development.
- Ensure the software teams are properly following process protocols and remove any barriers to their success.
- Represent the team in cross-organizational forums as well as customer requirements gathering and software validation and training sessions.
- Rely on extensive experience and judgment to understand complex problems and resolve them efficiently, Use prior knowledge and experience to support and leadership to colleagues.
- Ensures scrum teams are constantly improving and applying best practices towards the goal of becoming great engineering teams
- Comfortable with tracking metrics and providing significant support to the teams to always improve processes, technology or tools
- 5+ years of prior experience as a software developer. Java or .NET based web applications is highly preferred.
- 3+ years of recent experience in a software development management role of a team of at least 15 people.
- 2+ years of experience using Agile Scrum development processes with specific training in Scrum Master or Product Owner roles.
- 2+ years of recent experience in life sciences or IoT domains highly preferred.
- Significant exposure to building web/cloud based applications, AWS strongly preferred.
- Is a self-starter and comfortable determining direction in a highly dynamic environment with significant ambiguity at the project formation stage.
- Is an excellent communicator –to customers and partners, high-level executives, as well as highly technical project team members.
- An ability to be productive and prioritize in an environment with multiple competing priorities.
- A Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Engineering, or related discipline. Master’s degree preferred.
Location and Work Environment:
This position will be located in Bangalore, India