The Global Payroll Director role is a leadership opportunity focused on managing and elevating our regional payroll teams. This role will be responsible for leading the payroll operational activities, providing strategic direction for the payroll function, and developing a team of high performing colleagues. Our payroll teams currently support over 70,000 employees in more than 50 countries across the globe (APJ, EMEA and Americas).
The position will also oversee the team in global expansion initiatives including exploring and managing the implementation of 3rd party vendors to ensure payroll accuracy and compliance in multiple countries. Finally, this position will be responsible for the coaching, mentoring and leadership of the team of individuals and managers that provide the day-to-day payroll support. The Global Payroll Lead will be a part of the Global Business Services organization.
- Ensure accurate and timely processing of the Company’s payroll in all countries and that payroll services are processed in accordance with established global policies and procedures along with all legislative compliance requirements (including tax and labor laws).
- Ensures payroll issues are escalated and resolved with root cause analysis and corrective action for all levels of employees and management, with a focus on ensuring a positive and seamless employee experience in partnership with HR Shared Services
- Develop payroll strategy and operating model within the context of a rapidly evolving HR Shared Services model and provide tactical direction to the HR Leads across the globe
- Identify and implement appropriate control and compliance mechanisms
- Monitor case management activity levels, call volumes and HR/Payroll system activity
- Develop and implement best practices, key performance indicators and SLA metrics for department.
- Oversee the timely preparation, processing, maintenance and appropriate distribution of payroll information, payroll reports, all tax year end reports, payroll manuals and related payroll working instructions
- Identify and drive continuous performance improvement projects, typically around control mechanisms and efficiency of processes
- Manage projects across multi-disciplinary functions of Payroll within allotted time-frames and budgets, including activities arising from M&A.
- Ensure end-to-end processes are well-thought out to address customer and regulatory requirements.
- Directs and audits payroll procedures to include earnings, garnishments, tax withholding, and absence processing globally and ensure compliance with organizational procedures.
- Work closely with Legal, Compliance, and Benefits teams to identify, resolve, and avoid payroll compliance issues.
- Establish and set operational strategy for owning all operating and SOX controls within team.
- Drive appropriate consistent processes across the globe and coordinate regional efforts towards global process standardization while allowing local flexibility when required
- Establish partnerships with third party vendors to ensure effective service delivery
- Coach, mentor and provide leadership development to team members to optimize operational excellence and create a deeper bench of experienced talent
- Ownership of end-to-end payroll and T&A processes – works with operational leadership to ensure payroll and T&A processes are optimized globally and being adhered to;
- Maintains confidentiality of any payroll, private employee information and any proprietary information and ensures payroll information is secure.
- BA/BS degree or equivalent practical experience.
- 15 years of relevant experience in global HR and payroll in a diverse, complex global enterprise.
- Proactive, motivated, results oriented individual capable of partnering with diverse perspectives and backgrounds to negotiate positive outcomes that impact the work of internal, external and cross-functional partners.
- Demonstrated focus on providing an excellent employee experience
- Experience transforming a payroll function to maximize automation, scalability and cost effectiveness required.
- Strong service orientation and willingness to learn
- Comfortable in a fast-paced, complex and highly matrixed environment
- Additional certifications or Advanced degrees/certifications such as: MBA, CPP, CPA, CMA, Six Sigma, PMP and Agile Scrum Master Certification enhance candidacy
- Strong leadership skills -Leading, coaching, developing and inspiring a global team – setting team goals, measuring success and communicating achievements.
- Strong project management experience, to include the ability to manage project plans, dependencies, critical path activities and milestones is required.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills with ability to confidently present complex information to all levels of the organization are required.
- Knowledge and experience with stock, travel and time and attendance programs.
- Experience setting up payroll requirements for new tax entities.
- Experience with end to end M&A activities.
- Workday Payroll knowledge &/or experience preferred but not required; must have deep knowledge & experience working with payroll vendors & platform technologies.
- Change management experience and ability to facilitate change
- Role may require global travel of up to 30%