Job Title: Sr./Lead Optical Engineer
When you’re part of the team at Thermo Fisher Scientific, you’ll do important work. Surrounded by collaborative colleagues, you’ll have the support and opportunities that only a global leader can give you. Our respected, growing organization has an exceptional strategy for the near term and beyond. Take your place on our strong team, and help us make significant contributions to the world.
Division/Business Unit Summary:
China Innovation Center stands out as the only corporate R&D center within Thermo Fisher Scientific, the premier scientific instrumentation company in the world. Working alone or with businesses across the globe, we are responsible for the new product development, existing product enhancement, product localization, and innovative application & technology development. The Center is a strategic initiative for our corporation, and as such enjoys strong growth & the ability to attract and retain talented scientists and engineers.
The primary role of this position is responsible for design and developing the optical system for analytical instruments. This individual will work with cross functional engineers to complete the optical, corresponding fixture design and performance validation. Besides, the individual also participates in front-end technology research, sustaining the existing products based on customer feedback, cost, and manufacturability.
- Lead design and development of optical systems through optical modeling, characterization, parts selection, and design of experiments while working in close collaboration with electrical, mechanical, systems engineers and others. Optical systems will include lens, filters, splitter, digital sensors, optical fibers, diverse light sources and so on. Materials characterization, coating and related knowledge is required;
- Propose innovative and creative optical technical solutions to make technical offer more competitive;
- Develop specification and qualification plan for optical components and modules, interfacing with supplies to coordinate the optical parts prototyping, tooling, qualification and verification;
- Develop the fixtures and standard operating procedures for instrument alignment and calibration;
- Product prototype assemble and system testing, especially optical part;
- New product introduce and technical support to manufacture, as well as the cost reduction projects;
- Other duties as assigned;
• Responsibilities goes here
- A Master’s degree or above in Optics, Electro-optics, or Physics with strong optics and fiber optic; background, required with a minimum of 8 years working experience on optics/optoelectronics product development;
- Extensive knowledge and experience on design of illumination/beam shaper, imaging lens and system, and optical instrumentation and device;
- Expertise in use of optical design tools like Zemax, TracePro, OSLO and softwares like solidworks, AutoCAD;
- Self-starter and capable of working with minimal supervision. Ability to multi-task across multiple projects
- Demonstrated ability to solve complex issues in optical design and product development;
- Good Command of English (reading, writing and speaking).
- Experience with analytical instrument industry, molecular spectrum related experience is plus
- Experience using Matlab, Labview or similar for image processing and equipment control;
- Strong cooperation and communication skills with multi-national teams