Thermo Fisher Scientific Inc. (NYSE: TMO) is the world leader in serving science, with revenues of $22B and 65,000 employees in 50 countries. Our mission is to enable our customers to make the world healthier, cleaner and safer. We help our customers accelerate life sciences research, solve complex analytical challenges, improve patient diagnostics and increase laboratory productivity. Through our premier brands – Thermo Scientific, Applied Biosystems, Invitrogen, Fisher Scientific and Unity Lab Services – we offer an unmatched combination of innovative technologies, purchasing convenience and comprehensive support.
Analytical Instruments Group - Materials & Structural Analysis Division
Our Thermo Scientific brand in the analytical instruments group offers customers in research, academic, industrial and applied markets a complete range of high-end analytical instruments as well as laboratory equipment, software and services. In the materials and structural analysis division we design, manufacture, and support the broadest range of high-performance microscopy workflows that provide images and answers in the micro-, nano-, and picometer scales. Combining hardware and software expertise in electron, ion, FTIR, NIR, NMR UV/VIS and light microscopy with deep application knowledge in the materials science, life sciences, electronics, and natural resources markets. Our laboratory elemental analyzers use x-ray fluoresce (XRD), x-ray diffraction (XRD), and arc spark optical emission (EOS) techniques for precise analysis of bulk materials in the metals, cement, minerals and petrochemicals industries. Our material characterization instruments include rheometers and extruders that measure viscosity, elasticity, process ability and temperature related material changes of various materials. We also provide a range of elemental analysis instruments used in product development. Our worldwide team of 4,600 employees is dedicated to customers’ pursuit accelerating innovation and driving productivity.
Check out these video’s
- How to make a microscope? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9W6J_f4yVVg
- Inside the Titan Transmission EM https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2wEmsDh_l_A
The Applications Scientist Transmission Electron Microscopy (TEM) is part of a team of 8 other application specialists within our materials science customer domain responsible for providing technical expertise in support of Thermo Fisher Scientific’s European sales efforts at academic, government or any science related customer base. This customer focused position is ideal for an experienced technologist wanting to be involved with a dynamic team, demonstrating the strength of our technology, helping the customers to solve their characterization challenges and being a liaison between internal and external stakeholders. This role is working on top notch high end TEM and is exposed to a constant variety of customer application areas working together with the leading scientists and laboratories in the world.
- Perform high quality TEM product demonstrations, including the development of new techniques and applications for Thermo Fisher Scientific partners and customers.
- Customer support and applications training post sales cycle and after the instrument has been installed. Translate customer needs into workable solutions
- Providing technical product expertise assistance during all phases of the sales cycle.
- Cultivating positive customer relationships and acting as a high level customer interface for specific instrument/applications issues, explaining complex technology details, giving in depth technical presentations, and assisting in applications development.
- Provide continuous feedback to the product groups on system performance, features, and potential problems while collaborating with marketing/development groups on future product developments.
- Act as a primary communication conduit to the manufacturing department by reporting engineering and production issues from customers to Thermo Fisher Scientific.
- Troubleshoot and report software and hardware issues and escalate as necessary.
- Provide feedback to engineering on system performance, features and problems.
- Recommend and advise on direction for potential applications consistent with customer requirements and technical feasibility.
- Provide technical support to our Sales team, R&D, Manufacturing, Customer Service and other departments as required.
- Typically requires a PhD in a scientific discipline, preferably Materials Science.
- Hands-on experience in tuning and using Image and Probe corrected TEMs.
- Knowledge of advanced technology and diagnostics as well as operational optimization experience of analytical equipment; specifically electron/ion microscopes and various energy dispersive spectrometers or other analytical techniques required.
- Excellent, enthusiastic, clear communication skills, both written and verbal, with a diverse audience are essential to the success of this position.
- Excellent customer interfacing skills a must
- Proven ability to interact with cross-functional and cross-cultural teams
- Frequent traveling (up to 50%) and ability to travel both domestically internationally, possession of a valid passport.