At Thermo Fisher Scientific, each one of our 65,000 extraordinary minds has a unique story to tell. Join us and contribute to our singular mission—enabling our customers to make the world healthier, cleaner and safer.
The Industry Director is responsible for relationship and account management at customers with approximately $1 Million or greater potential and ensures market penetration and profitability at these accounts, while achieving sales and profit forecasts. The Industry Director is responsible for all account development activities including account strategy execution and management, ongoing communication of value proposition and value-added programs and services, resource coordination, price management, initiation of RFP responses, where applicable, and achievement of forecasted profitable growth. Manages multiple segment-specific customers.
- Drive corporate relationships by understanding customer life cycle and contract timeframes
- Coordinates needs and opportunity assessments across locations
- Measures customer satisfaction and develops strategies to improve
- Drives the Request for Proposal process
- Coordinates and communicates business development initiatives and strategies
- Identifies target profitability, terms and conditions
- Creates and manages the account strategy and implementation plan
- Conducts business reviews with customers
- Provides direction to managers/sales representatives on expectations for servicing accounts
- Drive market share improvement and identify standard marketing programs/promotions relevant to customers
- Evaluate customer performance for contract compliance
- Bachelor’s degree; MBA preferred or equivalent work experience.
- 10+ years of relevant work experience; strong background in science and the specific industry segment
- Demonstrated ability to maintain and grow senior level customer relationships across multiple areas like Sourcing, Production, Research, Materials Management
- Strong financial analysis, negotiation, and project management skills
- Strong leadership skills in a matrix environment
- Proven sales record
- Knowledge of Word, Excel, and PowerPoint a must; contact management software a plus
- Consistently recognizes business development opportunities, defines appropriate strategic solutions and implements with little direction required; Leads and inspires team, motivating them to achieve results on a consistent bases; Consistently works independently and is successful in driving business. Demonstrates the humility of a solid leader
- Clearly and consistently understands and articulates profitability levers across customers and creates a strategy for growth. Creates strategic business plan for the account, ensuring value for the customer, and finds ways to effectively overcome obstacles. Utilizes close collaboration with sales managers to drive local sales teams in achieving goals.
- Consistently builds solid relationships across several levels of customer base, regardless of customer size; ensures relationship moves up one level wherever possible; demonstrates through decisions and actions the divisional and company value proposition; consistently anticipates customer issues and concerns, and ensures timely follow-up and resolution to issues, as needed.
- Experienced in managing multiple accounts. Proven ability to manage people in matrix environment. Manages multiple priorities; sets deadlines in order to meet customer and business needs. Recognizes the importance and benefits of reporting and other administrative tasks.
- Requests feedback, and is open to receiving feedback; serves as a mentor for new IDIR's; provides training at IDIR training sessions on account management, business reviews, proformas, reporting, etc. Consistently shares best practices. Proactively sets personal development goals, and ensures consistent measurement throughout the year; proactively seeks out new information and takes actions to stay at the forefront of our industry and that of our customers; highly credible and able to demonstrate our offerings, or ensure appropriate resources present in an articulate and well-prepared manner; clearly leads by example and demonstrates business maturity; provides direction to managers and reps on expectations for servicing accounts; participates in projects and teams as assigned by IVP/SR. VP of Commercial Ops (ex: PPI lead, focus panels, etc).
- Consistently able to articulate account strategy and influence stakeholders as a market segment expert in order to gain buy-in due to ability to identify and articulate win-win scenarios; openly shares and communicates strategy with account team; consistent ability and desires to sell at higher levels within a customer organization; consistently works with high level customer contacts; exhibits professionalism when delivering tough messages.
- Demonstrated financial acumen to develop customer proposals and KPI (ex: savings templates) with limited finance involvement; ability to complete proformas independently; experience forecasting and preparing a budget; utilizes networks and marketing information from various sources to build additional networks and identify opportunities; attentive and responsive to the supplier community.
- Independently drives the RFP process; consistently leverages marketing to attain industry competitive information; negotiates contracts with customers by selling value proposition to meet customer goals, while developing pricing strategies to meet company and division goals; owner of pricing master set-up/maintenance, terms and conditions execution; conducts business reviews with customers; may have some global exposure within customer base.
- Understands and consistently utilizes internal company resources proactively to their benefit and the benefit of the customer. Has supplier contacts at the manager level or above. Holds everyone accountable for their specific responsibilities. Leverages account team to meet or exceed business objectives and address any concerns.
- Demonstrated strategic selling, negotiating, and project management skills; Strong financial understanding; strong background in science and the specific industry segment.
This position is not considered for Relocation Assistance.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, creed, religion, color, national or ethnic origin, citizenship, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, genetic information, veteran status, age or disability status.