Research Intern, Science and Engineering
When you’re part of the team at Thermo Fisher Scientific, you’ll do important work. And you’ll have the opportunity for continual growth and learning in a culture that empowers your development. With the largest investment in R&D in the industry, we give our people the resources and opportunities to make significant contributions to the world.
Thermo Fisher Scientific Inc. (NYSE: TMO) is the world leader in serving science. Our mission is to enable our customers to make the world healthier, cleaner and safer. With revenues of $20 billion, we have approximately 65,000 employees and we serve customers in all areas of science. For example, we help all sizes of companies in the pharmaceutical and biotech fields. We also improve public scientific institutions, such as hospitals, clinical diagnostic labs, universities, research institutions and government agencies, as well as environmental and process control industries. Our products and services help accelerate the pace of scientific discovery, and solve analytical challenges ranging from complex research to routine testing to field applications.
Summary of Internship
This internship provides a great opportunity for students who are studying fields such as biochemistry, chemistry, physics, and engineering to get hands-on experience working with scientists and engineers in an early research project for a DNA analysis system. The intern will work with engineers and scientists to develop core technology that will eventually be used in new products. The position starts in late May or early June, and pays for 40-hour flexible workweeks through August. There also may be an opportunity to work part time during the subsequent school year, if schedules permit.
- Learning quickly
- Working within a cross-functional team
- Designing and executing relevant experiments
- Analyzing data
- Presenting experimental results
- Keeping good records of experiments
- Maintaining equipment, such as liquid handlers
- Measuring surface characteristics
- Working under the mentorship and supervision of an engineer
Skills and Abilities
- Ability to work independently and as a member of a team
- Some experience working with Chemicals
- Some knowledge of PCR preferred
- Ability to use analysis software preferred (Matlab, R, JMP, Excel, etc.)
- Ability to communicate scientific ideas and experimental conclusions
- Students studying Biochemistry, Biomedical Engineering, Chemistry, Physics, Mechanics, or related fields
- Students entering their Senior year of undergraduate study or any year of graduate school
- Students with some knowledge of DNA preferred
At Thermo Fisher Scientific, each one of our 65,000 extraordinary minds has a unique story to tell. Join us and contribute to our singular mission—enabling our customers to make the world healthier, cleaner and safer. Apply today!
Thermo Fisher Scientific is an EEO/Affirmative Action Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, disability or any other legally protected status.