When you’re part of the team at Thermo Fisher Scientific, you’ll do important work. And you’ll have the opportunity for continual growth and learning in a culture that empowers your development. With revenues of $20 billion and the largest investment in R&D in the industry, we give our people the resources and opportunities to make significant contributions to the world.
Thermo Fisher Scientific Inc. (NYSE: TMO) is the world leader in serving science. Our mission is to enable our customers to make the world healthier, cleaner and safer. With revenues of $20 billion, we have approximately 65,000 employees and serve customers within pharmaceutical and biotech companies, hospitals and clinical diagnostic labs, universities, research institutions and government agencies, as well as in environmental and process control industries. Our products and services help accelerate the pace of scientific discovery, and solve analytical challenges ranging from complex research to routine testing to field applications.
Summary of Internship
The Research and Development group of the Life Sciences and Mass Spectrometry business unit is offering a unique opportunity for a highly talented individual looking to gain experience and play a role in the design and development of technology critical to supporting Thermo Fisher’s position as the leader in mass spectrometry.
The selected candidate will take part in the company’s Internship Program, where he/she will be part of a highly innovative environment and work in an interdisciplinary team together with R&D scientists, application and marketing specialists, as well as external collaborators.
The intern will be responsible for his/her own project which will focus on evaluating and analyzing operation of triple quadrupole mass analyzers.
The intern will be able to directly contribute to research efforts that aim towards improving performance of one of the key analytical platforms which is likely to produce important commercial impact in the future while being mentored by experts in the field. The intern will also learn various aspects of tuning/troubleshooting procedures for triple quadrupole instrumentation and gain insight into the key underlying technologies.
- Evaluate different aspects of performance of triple quadrupole mass spectrometers related to ion optics and detector operation
- Perform simple ion motion simulations to better understand experimental observations
- Process data and simulation results to make presentations
- Together with the science and engineering team work to identify potential improvements to the analyzer components or the associated electronics
- Undergraduate degree (e.g. Bachelor’s) in chemistry, physics, engineering or related discipline
- Post-graduate experience in mass spectrometry, hands-on experience with hardware is a plus
- Good communication skills and ability to efficiently present and explain scientific results to people with different backgrounds
- Self-motivated and sense of ownership over the project in order to bring it to successful completion
- Good understanding of fundamental science and technology related to mass analyzers is a plus
- Experience with ion simulation software (SIMION) is a plus
At Thermo Fisher Scientific, each one of our 65,000 extraordinary minds has a unique story to tell. Join us and contribute to our singular mission—enabling our customers to make the world healthier, cleaner and safer. Apply today!
Thermo Fisher Scientific is an EEO/Affirmative Action Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, disability or any other legally protected status.