When you’re part of the team at Thermo Fisher Scientific, you’ll do important work. And you’ll have the opportunity for continual growth and learning in a culture that empowers your development. With revenues of $20 billion and the largest investment in R&D in the industry, we give our people the resources and opportunities to make significant contributions to the world.
Thermo Fisher Scientific Inc. (NYSE: TMO) is the world leader in serving science. Our mission is to enable our customers to make the world healthier, cleaner and safer. With revenues of $20 billion, we have approximately 65,000 employees and serve customers within pharmaceutical and biotech companies, hospitals and clinical diagnostic labs, universities, research institutions and government agencies, as well as in environmental and process control industries. Our products and services help accelerate the pace of scientific discovery, and solve analytical challenges ranging from complex research to routine testing to field applications.
Summary of Internship
The Research and Development group of the Life Sciences and Mass Spectrometry business unit is offering a unique opportunity for a highly talented individual looking to gain experience and play a role in the design and development of technology critical to supporting Thermo Fisher’s position as the leader in mass spectrometry.
The selected candidate will take part in the company’s Internship Program, where he/she will be part of a highly innovative environment and work in an interdisciplinary team together with R&D scientists, application and marketing specialists, as well as external collaborators.
The intern will be responsible for his/her own project which will focus on the principal project to be assigned is the development of mass spectrometry based analytical methods for food safety and environmental samples. This will be based on a new workflow that has already developed, focused on extending this new workflow to a range of agrochemicals and related compounds.
There are two general workflows to be investigated, one used to collect and prepare samples from the surfaces of food products, and a separate method used for quantifying compounds in homogenized food samples.
A secondary project for this internship will be assisting with testing experimental hardware for mass spectrometry, specifically modified ion sources and inlets. The intern will employ a standardized test method to compare different hardware modifications and determine which work best.
The intern will be able to directly contribute to research efforts and will also learn various aspects of tuning/troubleshooting procedures for mass spectrometry instruments and gain insight into the key underlying technologies.
- Test a novel workflow for food safety samples, generating calibration curves for a set of analytes using new sample preparation and analysis techniques.
- Assess the relative performance of a set of modified inlet hardware, running repeated experiments to determine whether there are significant differences in performance.
- Present ongoing results in biweekly project meetings (slides + discussion).
- Report in written form the results of performance tests and food safety workflow experiments. This may be a summary report plus a well-organized lab notebook, but will include relevant data to demonstrate any conclusions that can be drawn.
- Undergraduate degree (e.g. Bachelor’s) in environmental science, toxicology and related fields.
- Some familiarity with instrumental analysis (e.g., spectroscopy, mass spectrometry, chromatography). Again, lab classes are acceptable.
- Good communication skills and ability to efficiently present and explain scientific results to people with different backgrounds
- Self-motivated and sense of ownership over the project in order to bring it to successful completion.
At Thermo Fisher Scientific, each one of our 65,000 extraordinary minds has a unique story to tell. Join us and contribute to our singular mission—enabling our customers to make the world healthier, cleaner and safer. Apply today!
Thermo Fisher Scientific is an EEO/Affirmative Action Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, disability or any other legally protected status.