Pushing the boundaries of discovery
With more than 60 years of innovation and leadership, our company enables customers to find meaningful answers to questions that accelerate breakthrough discoveries, increase productivity, and ultimately change the world. We design, manufacture, and support the broadest range of high-performance microscopy workflows that provide images and answers in the micro-, nano-, and picometer scales.
Combining hardware and software expertise in electron, ion, and light microscopy with deep application knowledge in the materials science, life sciences, electronics, and natural resources markets, the worldwide team of 3200 people is dedicated to customers pursuit of discovery and resolution to global challenges.
Thermo Fisher Scientific acquired FEI Company in September of 2016 as a part of the Analytical Instruments Group (AIG) in the newly-formed Materials and Structural Analysis Division (MSD).
Check out these video’s to get more insight in what it means to work on our complex High-Tech Transmission Electron Microscopes (TEM). These high-end tools are being produced and developed in Eindhoven, the Netherlands.
- Corporate organization https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ABSxT6Y099I
- Inside the Titan Transmission Electron Microscope https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2wEmsDh_l_A
- How to make a microscope https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9W6J_f4yVVg
- The installation of a Talos System at the University of Chicago https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=40rTgRq7iD0
About Thermo Fisher Scientific
When you’re part of the team at Thermo Fisher Scientific, you’ll do important work, like helping customers in finding cures for cancer, protecting the environment or making sure our food is safe. Your work will have real-world impact, and you’ll be supported in achieving your career goals.
As the world leader in serving science, we empower our people to advance innovative technologies, develop meaningful solutions, and build rewarding careers. With revenues of $18 billion and the largest investment in R&D in the industry, we give our 55,000 extraordinary minds the resources and opportunities to make significant contributions to the world.
A part of the TEM R&D organization is the Manage Sample Group. This group is responsible for the development of modules related to Sample Manipulation (Stages), Sample Transfer (Loading, Transport), Sample Conditioning (Cryogenic, Inert), Sample Stimulation (Electrical, heating) etc. Next to it this group is responsible for the Mechatronic and Thermal competences covering all parts of the TEM R&D organization.
As Project Manager you will be part of an enthusiastic multi-disciplinary team and you will be responsible to manage projects from conception towards introduction in the factory. The disciplines involved are mechanical, electrical, software, thermal, mechatronics, service, operations, sourcing etc.. which may reside inside or outside our group or at suppliers. Based on the type of project this can be across geographically dispersed locations including Europe and US based Engineering teams.
You will typically be responsible to run 2 to 3 projects or activities in parallel. You will be the spokesperson for your projects and will manage your projects from start to finish. The decisions made by you and your teams will have direct business impact. Your challenge will be to create technological complex products, meeting the needs of all your stakeholders, combining short term goals with long term needs. You will report directly to the Manager R&D of the Manage Sample Group.
Duties and responsibilities
- Manage the development and delivery of modules and sub-systems
- Implement rigorous review processes and set clear expectations around the key deliverables of the project.
- Adherence to the PMP and defined delivery schedules.
- Effectively manage the requirements with cross-functional teams including marketing, manufacturing and field service.
- Contribute to the engineering budgeting process by providing financial/budgetary analysis and recommendations for projected systems development/design, enhancements/upgrades and manpower
- Manage the project scope within the agreed budget, timeline, quality
The successful candidate will possess the following combination of education and experience:
- Typically requires a University Degree in Physics, Engineering or related discipline.
- Typically requires 7-10 years of work experience, of which you have worked in an R&D environment.
- 3+ years proven experience in systems or subsystems project management, with ambition to continue to grow in a role as project manager
- Demonstrated ability to manage complex engineering projects through a defined product management process.
- Ability to build consensus among key stakeholders that may not be under your management control.
- Strong communication ability is required due to the cross-functional nature of this role. An ability to communicate complex technical concepts to a variety of audiences is helpful in this role.
- Ability to manage and assign specific duties, and create a constructive and cooperative working relationship.
We seek candidates that take initiative, are self-steering, self-confident and conceptual thinkers. Outside an excellent communicator, you’re a team player and can switch easily to any level in our organization. You have perseverance, are decisive and target driven with a proven quality-, cost- and time-focus. You combine a strong analytical view with a pragmatic attitude and are able to flex yourself in a dynamic product development environment. You are value oriented and able to set and act according priorities at the same time.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, sex, color, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, or on the basis of disability.