Field Bioinformatics Scientist – US West/California (remote)
Thermo Fisher Scientific seeks a talented Bioinformatics Specialist to join a multidisciplinary team. This role is equally focused on the following:
- Driving excellence in customer applications & technical support for both the pre-sales process and post-sales installation, training and troubleshooting
- In-person and remote interaction with customers, field sales, sales managers, marketing and technical support staff
- Working closely with customers to identify market opportunities through development and commercialization of new applications on systems
- Provide technical informatics support for Thermo Fisher NGS hardware and software products and services by answering customer technical inquiries in a timely manner. Inquiries will be received via email, phone, or during customer visits.
- Provide complete customer support on technical issues by utilizing all available resources. Escalates issues or problems when warranted.
- Demonstrate proficiency in using all required computer systems and databases.
- Record and manage customer complaints on technical and quality issues. Troubleshoot and advise on solutions to problems as required. Participates in analyzing complaint information to assist in complaint trending, and identification of potential quality issues.
- Form a close relationship with the bioinformatics support team.
- Deliver training to customers
- Participate in training, both new product and continuing education to remain at the edge of scientific knowledge.
- Contribute to departmental and team meetings.
- Perform duties independently with only limited direction given. Job encounters recurring work situations with occasional variations from the norm, involving a moderate to high degree of complexity. Decisions are made within policy constraints. Occasionally, situations may warrant action outside of company guidelines, in which case representative is encouraged to share solution with Team Leader prior to action.
- Erroneous decisions may lead to customer dissatisfaction and/or increased costs for the company. Normally receives little instruction on routine work, general instructions on new assignments.
- May be required to perform other related duties as required and/or assigned.
- Requires a M.Sc. in bioinformatics or related field. A Ph.D. or equivalent experience is preferred.
- Strong system-level debugging and IT problem solving/trouble-shooting skills required.
- Familiarity with data backup solutions, data migration, and disaster recovery and network security preferred.
- Experience with Network TCP/IP, Firewalls, Active Directory, etc. a must.
- Must possess strong analytical, organizational, written and oral communicative skills
- Possesses experience in two or more of the following fields: NGS sequencing analysis, genomics, genetics, gene expression analysis, sequence assembly, molecular biology and high content data and images.
- In depth knowledge of bioinformatics software, resources and algorithms.
- Experience of working in a Windows and LINUX/UNIX environment is essential
- Familiarity with building and querying databases.
- Experience with installation and configuration of hardware + software application / database products, specifically Oracle and/or SQL is required.
- IT knowledge and basic system administration skills are required.
- Working knowledge of scripting in a language such as PERL, Python or Java.
- Knowledge of statistics for gene expression would be an advantage.
- Proven ability to quickly learn large amounts of new, complex technical information required.
- Demonstrated ability to effectively communicate, both orally and in writing, to customers and colleagues is required.
- Ability to manage multiple priorities required.
- Prior experience in customer service is preferred.
- Must be able to travel up to 50% of the time to meet customer demands.