When you’re part of Thermo Fisher Scientific, you’ll do challenging work, and be part of a team that values performance, quality and innovation. As part of a successful, growing global organization you will be encouraged to perform at your best. With revenues of $20 billion and the largest investment in R&D in the industry, we give our people the resources and opportunities to make significant contributions to the world.
The Application engineer works at the intersection of the development, sales support and the scientific community. This person continually collaborates with Applications, Technology, Systems and Software groups to ensure that system requirements are well understood, developed, integrated and thoroughly tested.
Due to the extensive integration of hardware and software in all company products the successful Application Specialist develops detailed in-depth understanding of the application of our tools and the implications of using and testing software when complex hardware interactions are at stake.
The Application Specialist will also provide customer and market feedback to Product Marketing and Product Execution Managers; participates on defining the needs for new applications development. This person also conduct customer demonstrations and jobs (e.g. for concept-proof of new applications), participate in technical discussions and cooperate on applications training with the customers.
Specific responsibilities are:
- Provide test plans, perform testing and give feedback to R&D and Marketing on system performance, design features, new hardware qualification and problem resolution
- Feed R&D team and Product portfolio group with information and customer feedback
- Maintain and nurture pool of S/DB solution expertise (technology, methodology) for all markets
- Work on collaboration projects with external partners
- Deliver scientific and other publications (best practice documents, white papers, conference abstracts, application notes)
- Execute demos, customer jobs, customer trainings
- Create, plan, and conduct experiments to apply advanced applications knowledge on company systems for assigned markets
- Translate customer needs into workable solutions and technical specification
- Act as ‘Equipment Owner’, keep equipment in job-ready condition and escalate problems.
- Follow the effective documents IMS, EMS and managing documentations
This position is ideal for an engineer/scientist with strong background in electron microscopy and/or focused ion beams. The position is appropriate for a candidate with 0 - 5 years of experience in a relevant commercial/research/production establishment with recent experience utilizing microscopy technology. The successful candidate will possess the following combination of education and experience:
- PhD or MSc in Material Science, Physics, Engineering or Biology
- Ability to work independently as well as in the team
- Demonstrated experience of using software in complex products with extensive hardware interactions
- Knowledge of advanced technology and diagnostics as well as operational optimization experience of analytical equipment; specifically electron/ion microscopes and various energy dispersive spectrometers or other analytical techniques
- Knowledge of programming would be an advantage
- Strong communicative skills (both verbal and written)
- Result oriented, ability to work under pressure
- Ability to write (scientific) papers and other publications
- Ability to interact with cross - functional and cross - cultural teams.
- Ability to travel both domestically as well as internationally and possession of a valid passport.
- Language skills (English), willing to learn Czech
- Customer Focus
- Technical/Functional Expertise
- Planning and Organizing
- Gets Results
- Develop Capabilities
- Collaboration and Teamwork
- Relationship Building
At Thermo Fisher Scientific, each one of our 65,000 extraordinary minds has a unique story to tell. Join us and contribute to our singular mission—enabling our customers to make the world healthier, cleaner and safer.