Software Development Intern – R&D
When you’re part of the team at Thermo Fisher Scientific, you’ll do important work. And you’ll have the opportunity for continual growth and learning in a culture that empowers your development. With revenues of $20 billion and the largest investment in R&D in the industry, we give our people the resources and opportunities to make significant contributions to the world.
Thermo Fisher Scientific Inc. (NYSE: TMO) is the world leader in serving science. Our mission is to enable our customers to make the world healthier, cleaner and safer. With revenues of $20 billion, we have approximately 65,000 employees and serve customers within pharmaceutical and biotech companies, hospitals and clinical diagnostic labs, universities, research institutions and government agencies, as well as in environmental and process control industries. Our products and services help accelerate the pace of scientific discovery, and solve analytical challenges ranging from complex research to routine testing to field applications.
Summary of Internship
The Software Development Internship position provides an opportunity for engineering students who are currently pursuing a computer science, computer engineering, bioengineering, bioinformatics or like engineering degree to get hands on experience working with engineers in a fast-paced software design and software quality assurance environment. The software intern will contribute to development projects and advance best design practices. The position starts in June, paid working 40 hours per week through August. Opportunity exists for this position to continue through the academic year on a part-time basis to allow for class schedules.
We are looking for those individuals who are passionate about software development and have deep interest in pursuing a career in analytical technologies, data analysis and ability to use their programming, scientific and data processing skills to develop world class systems software.
- The software intern is responsible for providing engineering support related to product development projects including software design, software development and software testing
- Develop software code and algorithms that analyze data in log formats, mathematical data sets, graphs etc.
- Develop automation of analytical machine functions
- Develop embedded firmware application to control devices and collect data sets from instruments.
- Accept candid feedback and look for areas of improvements
- Specific tasks will be tailored to the software interns experience level and abilities
- A software intern works under the close supervision of engineers, project managers, and software engineering managers
- Contribute to software design ideas and assess work effort for completing software modules.
- Participate in design and code reviews
Skills and Abilities
- Ability to work independently and as a member of a cross-functional team
- Strong willingness to learn, be mentored, and improve
- Desire to contribute and improve design of new and existing scientific instrumentation products
- Aptitude for writing software programs and knowledge of some standard programming languages like Java or C++ or C#
- Student currently enrolled in classes leading to a ABET accredited degree in a software or computer or biochemistry related engineering discipline
At Thermo Fisher Scientific, each one of our 65,000 extraordinary minds has a unique story to tell. Join us and contribute to our singular mission—enabling our customers to make the world healthier, cleaner and safer. Apply today!
Thermo Fisher Scientific is an EEO/Affirmative Action Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, disability or any other legally protected status.