The Research and Development group of the Life Sciences and Mass Spectrometry business unit is offering a unique opportunity for a highly talented individual looking to gain experience and play a role in the design and development of technology critical to supporting Thermo Fisher’s position as the leader in mass spectrometry.
The selected candidate will take part in the company’s Internship Program, where he/she will be part of a highly innovative environment and work in an interdisciplinary team together with EE/ME engineers, R&D scientists, application and marketing specialists, as well as external collaborators.
The intern will be responsible for the vacuum development project which will focus on designing and iterating the vacuum system of mass spectrometers. While being mentored by experts in the field and performing designs for the state-of-the-art mass spectrometers, the intern will explore multidisciplinary science/engineering challenges and gain insight into the key underlying technologies.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Generate new product designs and iterate through development from concept to product.
- Produce CAD models and drawings and perform engineering analysis of components/systems.
- Responsible for materials and component selection, specification, testing, and analysis.
- Work together with the science and engineering work to identify potential improvements to the vacuum system and the manifold components.
- Software proficiency: MS office programs, CAD (SolidWorks), FEA.
- Metal and plastic design experience and process knowledge.
- Undergraduate degree (e.g. Bachelor’s) in engineering, chemistry, physics or related discipline.
- Post-graduate experience in mass spectrometry, hands-on experience with hardware is a plus.
- Good communication skills and ability to efficiently present and explain engineering results to people with different backgrounds.
- Self-motivated and sense of ownership over the project in order to bring it to successful completion.
- MS or PhD candidate.
- Experience in the vacuum design of mass spectrometry system.
- Good understanding of fundamental science and technology related to mass analyzers is a plus.
- Experience with ion simulation software (SIMION) is a plus.