Purpose of the job
Coordinates and manages the strategic procurement at both site and Business Unit (BU) level, vendor compliance and daily purchasing activities. Acts as primary point of contact with external vendors, focusing on cost savings opportunities, contract implementation and compliance, negotiation and maintenance, sourcing, costing, and vendor relationship management. Trouble shoots delivery and quality issues.
Patheon Biologics operates as a Custom Manufacturing Organization for small to large Pharma customers. Biologics exclusively focuses on production of antibodies and other active pharma proteins using mammalian cell lines. Customers are typically companies with a product in the clinical stage of development. This requires a short time to the clinic, i.e. a short but effective development of their process, followed by timely transfer to Operations and batch production under cGMP.
The technologies that Patheon Biologics offer are industry standard to state of the art (including Single Use Bioreactors). For each new product a manufacturing process is to be developed and optimized. Annually, 5-10 new manufacturing processes are transferred from the Process Development department to the Operations department. Next to that new technologies are acquired and/ or developed to keep and increase the competitiveness of Patheon. Processes developed in Process Development will be transferred to the cGMP facility in Groningen.
Production activities range from executing a totally new production run for the first time, to the routine production of a commercial batch. Due to the diversity of customers, and their associated products, the applicable processing steps are very diverse.The biopharmaceutical type of facility has to comply with rules and regulations of cGMP set by countries health and welfare ministries and with internationally harmonized guidelines that give guidance with implementing these rules and regulations and the internal and external EH&S requirements and regulations.
The production activities have to be executed in an efficient and effective manner to assure the sites overall competitiveness. In addition, due to the very high value of intermediates and products, production activities have to be executed in a highly controlled fashion. Mistakes can cause high cost (1 mil euros per batch).
Controlled production activities and compliance to cGMP rules, regulations and guidelines is essential for the suitability of the clients’ products and the license to operate for the site.
- Develops and manages commodity strategies in support of Patheon’s overall goals for performance including Right First Time (RFT), On Time In Full (OTIF), savings targets, Quality Assurance, and supports vendor value management programs.
- Builds and maintains positive vendor relationships through open & timely communication, on-site supplier visits/audits, regular performance feedback, and conflict resolution in a timely and professional manner.
- Collaborates with BU Leads and Center of Excellence (CoEs) on global and strategic sourcing for both site level and BU-level.
- Drives site-specific and BU-level sourcing activities, projects and implementations.
- Identifies cost savings opportunities within assigned category(ies) by running sourcing events (RFx Request for Information/Proposal/Quote/Bid, tender, auction, etc) with support of Site Procurement Lead, and in accordance with BU Lead to drive cost savings at the site level.
- Manages Stewardship of Item Master data and item classification for the site (also System Super User for Procurement).
- Manages Stewardship of changes / additions to vendor master data.
- Manages all procurement Master Data Management, cleanses and reconciles data.
- Supports regulatory compliance activities: internal tracking systems, audit requirements, internal change controls, etc.
- Manages pricing, quality supplier issues and supports documentation and Request for Council Action (RCA).
- Supports/leads Corrective Action Preventative Action (CAPA) effort and documentation.
- Reconciles invoices changed by vendor after order was set by Buyer/Planner.
- Participates and/or supports product launch teams, Pharmaceutical Development Services (PDS), technical transfer projects.
- Supports operational excellence and integration projects (as required).
- Education: (Dutch) HBO, College/Technical School diploma in Business Administration or related discipline.
- Certified Production and Inventory Control Management (CPIM) preferable, (Dutch procurement training) NEVI 1 / 2. Supply Chain Management Professional (SCMP) designation would be an asset.
- 3-5 years of previous purchasing experience within a manufacturing or pharmaceutical environment.
- Experience with ERP systems is required, and experience with SAP is considered an asset.
- Knowledge of Good Manufacturing Practice (GMP) and Standard Operating Procedures (SOP).
- Strong proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel, PowerPoint).
- Well organized and able to work independently with minimal supervision.
- Strong Project Management Skills.
- Excellent interpersonal, analytical/problem solving and communication skills. Knowledgeable of commodity markets, price fluctuations and effect on material purchases.
- Effective negotiation skills.
- Proficiency with the English language.
- Demonstrated commitment to our fundamental principles of Integrity, Respect and Excellence.
- Ability to travel between Bio sites to provide on-site support as required.
- Equivalent combinations of education, training, and relevant work experience may be considered.