Unity Lab Services (ULS), a part of Thermo Fisher Scientific, provides integrated solutions, instrument, and enterprise services to our customers. This Field Service Engineer is responsible for managing all aspects of field service support and customer relationship management. The successful candidate will provide complete services on Chromatography (HPLC, IC) systems, including installation, repairs, preventative maintenance, and instrument qualifications. Our ideal candidate will be customer oriented, an advocate for Thermo Fisher Scientific in customer laboratories, and be eager to drive growth.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Perform on-site installation, repair, maintenance, qualification, and validation of Chromatography (HPLC, IC) or Mass Spectrometry systems
- Must be client-focused, working in conjunction with other ULS teams and Sales
- Must be proficient with the use of customer management software to track service calls, manage parts inventories, and complete job tasks
- Reviews reports and documentation from customers, and inspects malfunctioning product to determine nature and scope of problem
- Analyzes review and inspection findings to determine source of problem, and recommends repair, replacement, or other corrective action
- Coordinates problem resolution with engineering, customer service, and other personnel to expedite repairs
- Analyzes Chemistry reports of technical problems to recommend modifications to eliminate future problems
- Provides a communication link between the customer and the company to help ensure that effective service is provided to the customer
- Develops and conducts training on the safe operations of the equipment and demonstrates skills to trainees, including both team members and customers
- Other duties may be assigned
Performs Installations, Customer Training and Maintenance:
- Performs technical diagnosis of operational problems and repairs/calibrations on wide range of laboratory equipment to ensure that the equipment is operating to the customer’s complete satisfaction and manufacture specifications. May include running the necessary experiments and/or coordinate among the in-house and outside experts to reach a resolution.
- In addition to training end users and distributors, serves as a source of technical product knowledge and trains, as required, other service engineers and provides supervision as required in the course of this duty.
- Performs technical evaluations on product changes and on new products, including software verification, collection of performance data, assessment of user friendliness, ease of maintenance, etc. Provide written reports on evaluations.
- Assists with customer training by preparing instruments and supplies as well as giving presentations.
Manages Internal Processes:
- Enters various types of data (i.e. service log, invoicing, knowledge retention, etc.) into computer system.
- Participates in depot repairs via equipment repairs, training, etc. (may be on a rotational basis).
- Supports the Quality System and Quality Policy by following procedures/work instructions and creating records to meet the requirements of the Quality System Regulation and ISO registration.
- Assists Accounts Receivable Department in collecting past due invoices.
- Assists in the development of manuals and technical information.
- Maintains spare parts inventory, tools, manuals and test equipment.
- Maintains records of all service events per organizational policy.
- Promotes and sells various types of extended warranty/PM contracts on equipment, user training, and Service Replacement Orders.
- Advises sales representatives of potential selling opportunities within accounts.
Education and/or Experience requirements:
- Bachelors Degree in Chemistry, Sciences or related field preferred
- 3+ years hands-on experience as a Service Engineer is preferred, particularly working with analytical instrumentation or 3+ years relevant industry experience
- Hands-on experience with Chromatography (HPLC, IC) or Mass Spectrometry systems, preferred
- Effective communication skills and establishing good customer rapport are essential
- Ability to prioritize service requests and produce clear and concise documentation
- Must be available to travel overnight up to 60% within the territory or other areas as required
Essential Functions and Physical Requirements
- Ability to safely lift 50 Lbs with assistance on occasion
- Ability to safely lift and carry 25-30 Lbs continuously throughout the day
- Ability to bend, squat, stretch, and reach on a daily basis in a service function
- Ability to travel overnight at a minimum of 60%
- Maintain a valid driver’s license and safe driving record
- Regular and Reliable Attendance