This entry-level sales position is designed to promote the development of the successful candidate who has achieved the academic requirements, may have practical lab experience and has demonstrated a sales aptitude applicable to the position, but lacks sales experience in our industry. The candidate will be forwarded the opportunity and expected to learn and develop those skills necessary (as structured by management) to perform all job duties. The position coordinates sales processes for assigned accounts, primarily via the telephone and e-mail but also using face to face sales techniques for an assigned geography in accordance with approved sales and marketing plans. The incumbent will comprehend and utilize product features, benefits, and applications accompanied with selling skills to identify and qualify leads, initiate the sales process and successfully promote and consummate the sales of Company products and services to achieve or exceed the assigned territory sales plan.
The primary functional objective of the position is the direct two-way person-to-person interactions with customers that start and develop relationships and through these engagements we will achieve the best possible sales representation for Thermo Fisher Scientific Biosciences business.
PLAN PERFORMANCE AND SALES SKILLS
- Coordinate the entire sales process for assigned accounts. Demonstrate use of telephone selling skills, such as making good opening statements, connecting with the customer, building relationships, asking open-ended and high gain questions to determine needs, provide solutions through the use of our products, creating the value proposition and closing the deal.
- Achieve or exceed the territory sales plan by maintaining existing business, developing incremental business in existing accounts, and conducting cold calls to develop new accounts.
- Participate in sales, product and systems training, marketing campaigns, special projects as presented by the Company to develop appropriate selling skills consistent with Company philosophy, policies, and procedures.
- Maintain and increase current customer database through Company customer relation’s management software (Siebel CRM).
- Prospect and develop relationships with new customers. Coordinate on-going customer relationships with a particular focus on up selling and cross selling. Attain or exceed assigned sales, profit, and market share goals consistently with respect to expense guidelines.
- Develop and execute an annual sales plan for managing assigned territory, updated quarterly.
- Make outbound telephone calls to all organizational levels and functional areas where purchasing decisions are made
- Utilize data sources to analyze and develop sales opportunities with the greatest ROI. Communicate key competitive activities, market trends, and changing customer development plans and priorities, which include emerging customers.
COMMUNICATION, WRITTEN AND ORAL
- Communicate with research scientists at all accounts for product information, sales presentations, and information through telephone, e-mail, and written correspondence.
- Communicate account objectives and action plans to management via daily interactive updates, monthly summary reports and other communication vehicles.
- Complete assigned tasks and reports in a timely and complete manner while maximizing prime calling periods.
- Meet ALL sales call objectives
- Develop organizational skills necessary to successfully manage territory sales activities.
CORPORATE POLICY AND PROCEDURES COMPLIANCE
- Coordinate contracts/ quotations within Thermo Fisher Scientific guidelines by extending competitive pricing as needed to maintain and increase margin/ revenues with guidance from management and/ or marketing.
- Required to learn and practice Company policies and procedures and strive to present a professional image as a Company ambassador.
- Achieve daily customer phone contact objectives to provide product and relevant information for all aspects of gaining and servicing Thermo Fisher business at all accounts to generate sales.
- Develop product knowledge sufficient to successfully conduct an effective telephone sales presentation.
- Learn existing and potential customer status regarding Company and competitors’ products.
- Support marketing programs and programs in other territories as assigned by the Sales Manager.
- Communicate to all organization levels and functional areas as well as internal and external customers.
Nature and Scope:
Develop analytical and business planning skills. Possess excellent written and verbal communication skills to many diverse customer audiences and influencers. Strong capabilities to interface effectively with all customer types. Ability to function effectively in a high performance team. Demonstrate a positive attitude and desire to succeed. Exhibit a high degree of flexibility in adapting to a rapidly changing business environment. Develop platform, organizational and prioritization skills. Job encounters diverse work situations involving a moderate degree of complexity.
Education and Experience
- BA/BS degree required, preferably in Life Sciences. Masters Degree is a plus.
- Preferred lab, selling and/or customer contact experience. Computer skills in MS Word, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint, or like programs required.
- Excellent organization skills as well as demonstrated ability to meet goals and objectives required.
Be able to travel as needed for required meetings and quarterly customer visits. Must be available to work various times during the workweek to accommodate best calling times in multiple North America time zones. This may include a variable work schedule to accommodate customer availability. The employee may occasionally have to lift objects up to 40 lb such as catalog cases.