Sr. Director, IT Global Portfolio Management
When you’re part of the team at Thermo Fisher Scientific, you’ll do important work, like helping customers in finding cures for cancer, protecting the environment or making sure our food is safe. Your work will have real-world impact, and you’ll be supported in achieving your career goals.
The Sr. Director, IT Global Portfolio Management has global responsibility to foster alignment of portfolio components (roadmaps, programs, projects) with the strategic objectives and priorities of the organization. In doing so the Portfolio leader establishes a governance model and portfolio management plan to support effective decision making. This role must clearly articulate and continually improve this process to ensure transparency, understanding and buy-in from leadership within the matrix organization.
The IT Global Portfolio Leader’s role performs continuous analysis and monitoring of portfolio components to identify issues, risks and opportunities for improvement. Strives to balance and optimize the portfolio and tools to achieve strategic business objectives and possesses the advanced business knowledge and specialized domain competencies to enable organizational agility and success.
Working closely with the Portfolio Delivery Teams to ensure the overall portfolio investments are being met, this position requires that the individual act as a liaison between the Groups and Shared Services as it relates to intake across all work tiers and workflows and is responsible for managing demand forecasting for all potential and assigned activities which require cross-functional staffing. The domain competencies include: Governance, Roadmaps, Intake, Prioritization, Benefits Realization, Resource Demand Planning and Operational Support for the Global IT Portfolio.
This is a highly-visible leadership role within the organization who works closely with Finance, Human Resources, Group/Divisional Leaders, Shared Service Leaders, Mergers & Acquisition Leaders, Portfolio Delivery Leaders, Programs Managers and all other stakeholders to continually improve this process and ensure IT and Business financial investments are prioritized and managed successfully.
- Roadmap, Project Intake and Prioritization Process
- Understand the strategic direction and financial targets of the business and tie-in to the Strategic Portfolio for effective and transparent planning.
- Define a standard process/tools for the IT road mapping process which will serve as an input into the intake process.
- Define the Portfolio’s intake process and monitor, analyzes, improve and represents the intake process with key stakeholders.
- Drives the intake process for new projects and strategic investments with Portfolio Delivery Leaders and functional stakeholders to prioritize cross-functionally.
- Continuously improves and manages business case development process, plans and schedules related to portfolio intake.
- Reviews project inter-dependencies for use in articulating trade-offs with prioritization decisions.
- Governance and Process:
- Supports the governance and portfolio management processes by analyzing aspects of the governance process, from initial idea evaluation through project closure and the reporting on benefits realization.
- Continuous improvement using PPI tools and methodologies.
- Adapts portfolio and project management methodologies for multiple approaches – Waterfall, Agile, etc.
- Partners with IT Finance team to support IT Capex and Opex planning and budgeting process.
- Provides regular updates to leadership on the IT Global and Strategic portfolio
- Streamlines processes in partnership with Portfolio Delivery Teams to reduce administrative overhead and support their operational needs for reporting, process and tool administration.
- Portfolio Oversight & Reporting
- Helps maintain a view of the health of the IT Global Portfolio.
- Facilitate challenging/open honest conversations with leadership on the portfolio and specific projects.
- Enables self-service reporting that is easy to use, transparent and readily understood within multiple levels within the company.
- Looks for opportunities to streamline and improve processes that respect the culture of Thermo Fisher Scientific without being tied to what has been developed in the past.
- Operational Support and Enablement
- Enable Portfolio Delivery Teams to delivery programs/projects effectively
- Work closely with Portfolio Delivery Teams to deliver transparency and facilitate decision support –project status, alternatives, risks and mitigation plans.
- Foster partnerships and develop strong relationships with internal leaders and stakeholders.
- Leads the Portfolio Management and Operations Team
- Manages direct reports, including performance reviews, workload balancing, work assignments and time management.
- Responsible for developing, motivating staff members, providing guidance as appropriate.
- Consistently demonstrates high standards of integrity by supporting the Thermo Fisher Scientific mission and 4i Values
- Performs other functions as assigned by Management.
- Masters’ and/or Bachelors’ Degree in Project Management or related field
- 10-15 years of experience within successful execution of enterprise level IT portfolio processes: road mapping, intake, prioritization, demand planning, operational reporting, financial investment analysis management role and/or an equivalent combination of education and experience required.
- Experience with Reporting, Portfolio and Project Management Tools – Agile, Waterfall, multiple methodologies.
- Strong analytical and project management skills required, including a thorough understanding of how to interpret business needs and translate them into sound project solutions
- Strong familiarity with project management standards and methodologies including PMI Body of Knowledge
- Conflict resolution and problem-solving skills
- Strong interpersonal, organizational, and excellent documentation skills are a must
- Excellent customer service skills required
- Strong attention to detail, organizational skills, time management
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- The ability to interact professionally with a diverse group: executives, managers, and subject matter experts
At Thermo Fisher Scientific, each one of our 65,000 extraordinary minds has a unique story to tell. Join us and contribute to our singular mission—enabling our customers to make the world healthier, cleaner and safer. Apply today http://jobs.thermofisher.com