Thermo Fisher Scientific Inc. (NYSE: TMO) is the world leader in serving science, with revenues of $17 billion and 50,000 employees in 50 countries. Our mission is to enable our customers to make the world healthier, cleaner and safer. We help our customers accelerate life sciences research, solve complex analytical challenges, improve patient diagnostics and increase laboratory productivity. Our four premier brands - Life Technologies, Thermo Scientific, Fisher Scientific and Unity Lab Services - offer an unmatched combination of innovative technologies, purchasing convenience and comprehensive support.
Job Title: Technical Applications Team Leader
Reports To: Marketing Director, Chromatography Consumables
Group/Division: Analytical Instruments Group/Chromatography & Mass Spectrometry Division/Life Science Business Unit
Career Band: 7
Job Track: Professional
Position Location: Runcorn, Cheshire, UK
Number of Direct Reports: 4-7
The CCS business unit manufactures and supplies chromatography consumables. These products are sold to a worldwide market made up predominantly of pharmaceutical companies, universities, hospitals, government institutions and a wide range of industrial companies in varying fields of activities.
The Company’s growth relies upon maintaining a high level of scientific credibility. Full applications and technical support play an important role in terms of determining customer perception and capability of the product range. Strong applications collateral that presents Thermo Fisher Scientific products and services as a full solution to their scientific problem is a key route to differentiating our products in the marketplace.
The job holder is responsible for developing and delivering applications for the LC, Bio LC, GC, Sample Handling and Sample Preparation products.
As well as providing support on existing products, the job holder will be expected to maintain a good degree of flexibility and other tasks like new product development support may be required from them. The full range of products needs to be supported in a professional manner and this will entail a small amount of travel on Company business.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- To demonstrate a strong customer focus in all our activities
- To work with key customers on collaborative projects either in-house or at the customer’s location
- To support the business unit, product managers, operations team, commercial team, dealer network and end users in a specific focus area (either LC, Bio LC, GC, SP or SH)
- To deliver BU approved quality applications or other technical data as required in support of our Business Unit’s goal tree objectives in a timely manner that highlight ThermoFisher Scientific’s value offering within a specific focus area (either LC, GC, SP or SH)
- To develop and maintain a range of BU/Marcom approved collateral that demonstrates the ease of use of products, or promotes the products with an emphasis on providing a total solution for the customer
- To generate and present BU approved training seminars to the commercial team, dealer network and end users, promoting the scientific capabilities of the Company and its products
- To write, prepare and present Marcom approved scientific posters and presentations at exhibitions and symposia in order to raise the profile of the Company and its’ products
- To produce support material as required for new product introductions according to the planned timelines and quality criteria
Health, Safety & Environment & Intellectual Property
- To comply with responsibilities outlined in the H&S policy
- To maintain detailed records of all work carried out in lab books (and all other relevant formats eg. Electronic files) which are maintained as the Company’s intellectual property
- To behave as a role model leader in the department, exhibiting the core 4I values
- To work effectively with members of other departments on multi-functional projects
- To utilize the PPI (practical performance improvement) management process to continuously improve the performance of the business
- To communicate relevant observations on data produced
- To calibrate, test and verify the ability of equipment to satisfactorily perform its designated function
- To carry out any other duties as reasonably requested by the line manager
The job holder will have a Bachelor’s Degree in Chemistry or degree in related discipline or equivalent, relevant experience within a chromatography environment (preferably in a relevant focus industry). A working understanding of the theory and practical application of sample preparation, HPLC, LC-MS or GC/GC-MS and associated techniques is also required.
The role also require a small amount of travel (<10%) to support the business.
Non-Negotiable Hiring Criteria:
- The ability to work on own initiative and to meet deadlines and targets
- Good communication skills, both written and oral
- A good level of interpersonal, motivational and organisational skills
- A good knowledge of Health & Safety regulations and COSHH requirements