Biochemistry Intern – R&D
When you’re part of the team at Thermo Fisher Scientific, you’ll do important work. And you’ll have the opportunity for continual growth and learning in a culture that empowers your development. With revenues of $20 billion and the largest investment in R&D in the industry, we give our people the resources and opportunities to make significant contributions to the world.
Thermo Fisher Scientific Inc. (NYSE: TMO) is the world leader in serving science. Our mission is to enable our customers to make the world healthier, cleaner and safer. With revenues of $20 billion, we have approximately 65,000 employees and serve customers within pharmaceutical and biotech companies, hospitals and clinical diagnostic labs, universities, research institutions and government agencies, as well as in environmental and process control industries. Our products and services help accelerate the pace of scientific discovery, and solve analytical challenges ranging from complex research to routine testing to field applications.
Summary of Internship
This is a summer Intern position in a biochemistry Product Development laboratory. We develop reagents used in ImmunoDiagnostics kits and instrument platforms that monitor different biomarkers of disease. In this position, you will convert several microtiter plate-based ELISA assays with a colorimetric readout to a new assay format based on magnetic bead separation, automation, and chemiluminescent detection. You will learn principles and hands-on techniques in assay development including antibody conjugation, magnetic bead coupling, and immunoassay optimization while contributing to a significant product development effort. The position starts in June, paid working 40 hours per week through August.
- The biochemistry intern is responsible for providing assay development support which may include preparation of buffers, coupling of antibodies to enzymes and magnetic beads, and tittering reagents for assay optimization.
- Data analysis and presentation of experimental results
- Participate in team meetings and discussions for data exchange and planning.
- Provide feedback on assay designs
- Learn about assay design and instrumentation through daily activities.
- Accept candid feedback and look for areas of improvements
- Specific tasks will be tailored to the biochemistry interns experience level and abilities
- A biochemistry intern works under the close supervision of Staff Scientists, and a Research & Development manager
Skills and Abilities
- Ability to work independently and as a member of a cross-functional team
- Strong willingness to learn, be mentored, and improve
- Desire to contribute and improve design of new and existing scientific products
- Strong customer focus
- Student currently enrolled in classes leading to an accredited degree in a biochemistry, biotechnology related science discipline
- Biotechnology, Biochemistry or Biology, or like field
- Completed at least one laboratory-focused coursework
- Aptitude in Microsoft Excel
At Thermo Fisher Scientific, each one of our 65,000 extraordinary minds has a unique story to tell. Join us and contribute to our singular mission—enabling our customers to make the world healthier, cleaner and safer. Apply today!
Thermo Fisher Scientific is an EEO/Affirmative Action Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, disability or any other legally protected status.